Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: injured stag??

injured stag??

hey guys, i was out stalking today and came across a herd of deer.
    there was a young stag (pointer) that had snapped one of his antlers of but instead of it snapping clean of it was just hanging of his head :/ i did not think this could happen... and did not think that antlers splinter like a branch if im right? just wondering if the stag has hurt him self or is in some pain im a little concerned that the poor bugger has hurt him self can any one give me any answers on this please?

Even without seeing it I would suggest the stag will just shrug such a thing off.

we shot a Sika stag a month ago that had broken one antler off right at the pedicle. It was still a bit bloody, obviously a fresh injury. Its behaviour suggested it was unaware of it...

+1 jambutty
    ​happens frequently when they're rutting and nothing to worry about
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Once a stag is clean and in hard antler if it is going to break it tends break completely and fall away.

The fact that you've seen it attached and swinging suggests to me that either the pedicle has broken or a piece of skull has been broken out with the pedicle attached like a root plate on a fallen tree. In both cases the antler remains attached by the skin of the pedicle. I have seen both these injuries on several occasions.

This could be survivable (less so in the case of the fractured skull) but future deformation is almost certain to occur.

In a farm or park I would almost certainly cull the animal and I would suggest that this is the best course of action in the wild too. At least if you cull him you will know for certain what the problem was and that is how we learn and gain experience.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ylg W831.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	34486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furze (19-09-09) 025.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	34484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furze (19-09-09) 028.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	34485
    Before & after!

I agree with Glyn on this one.

Above is just one example. An outstanding Furzeland yearling which had broken his pedicle after the antlers had hardened. He did in fact break a part of the skull out, about a 2.5" plate, which MUST have caused the animal great pain.

This is by no means an uncommon injury, especially to young stags where their bones are still relatively fragile compared to older stags.

In the wild I would strongly advise culling such an animal to prevent further suffering.

Mike Allison
    Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services

I thought from the OP he refers to a damaged antler, no mention of the pedicle?
    Last edited by jamross65; 11-11-2013 at 07:14.

Considering the OP is relatively new to stalking and never shot a deer as yet
    could this be a possibility that the OP is slightly mistaken in by what they have posted in regards to the specific damage to the antler

as it could be a young beast still with a bit of velvet attached or if it has broken it trying to clear some wire or string/Lekky fencing from it's antler is also another possibility

but still some very good pics showing some very precise injuries there
    should help the OP and others identify better in the future

From the description by the OP it would seem that he has either broken the pedicle or the skull, which would explain the dangling whilst still attached.
    If it's a wild stag the kindest thing would be to shoot it. I have had it happen 3 times on the farm where they have broken a small plate out of the skull from which the base of pedicle grows. Leaving the antler on means that this plate continually gets swung around damaging the tissue around it. On all 3 occasions it has happened here I just popped them into the crush, tied string very tightly around the pedicle and sawed off the antler as close to the skull as possible whilst supporting the whole head and antler in its natural position. After letting them out they were back grazing normally within minutes and all made a full recovery. these were destined for venison anyway so not being able to grow another antler the following year was not an issue. I have also done one where I cut just above the "coronet" line; the skull breakage healed fine and he grew a normal antler the following year.
    Never underestimate the ability of a deer to recover from injuries.

The image below shows a fallow buck I culled in Hertfordshire with a broken pedicle. The antler was swinging below his head. This must have been very painful and as can be seen was open to infection due to the break in the skin. On inspection this buck had very little contents in its stomach, suggesting it was in pain and possibly unable to feed properly/comfortably. I would certainly advise culling the said deer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Herts 13.2.12 004.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	713.5 KB 
ID:	34491

Good picture Waterfollow.

Mike Allison
    ​Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services