Ase Utra S Series

Bali

Ase Utra Having just fitted this on my 30-06 does it have a settling in period ? My groups at 100yds are about an inch without the mod but when I fired with the mod the group opened up in a line going some 6 inches across left to right top to bottom. I checked it was screwed on properly most at the range said to clean it but having only put a dozen or so shots through it I don't think that will help. Any views ??

Just a thought, is the weight of the mod causing the barrel to touch the stock? Or is there any evidence of the bullets clipping the mod?

​wouldnt have thought the mod would need cleaning IMO.

Just a thought, is the weight of the mod causing the barrel to touch the stock? Or is there any evidence of the bullets clipping the mod?

​wouldnt have thought the mod would need cleaning IMO.

Bullets clipping, you may be right there if I look really really close there is a very small shiny section on the end hole of the mod but it is really small

+1 with the above the barrels touching the stock or the bullets catching the mod

I will check barrel/stock. But if it is bullet touching mod would you drill it out or send it back, if I send it back they may argue barrel thread not square which in my opinion it is. Mod sits tight to barrel

Sounds like it was threaded in a self centering chuck rather than cutting it concentric to the bore. Back to the gunsmith if it was me!

Sounds like you'll need to get it checked out by a rifle - gunsmith the threads must not be cut correctly on your rifle or inside the mod, it wouldn't need to catch much to send the bullet all over the place

Last edited:
Sounds like it was threaded in a self centering chuck rather than cutting it concentric to the bore. Back to the gunsmith if it was me!

It was threaded by Danpd on this forum I will ask him but he knows what hes doing. I will upload a pic of mod

That's just muzzle blast marks if the bullet was catching it would mark the inside edge not the outer edge !

Ive got a ace utra s5,the hole is very small or should i say tight,there is only a few fow clearance around the bullet,threading this needs doing to perfection, when I checked mine and seen how tight it was I spoke to peter jackson to double check before I fired, pointed rifle towards a bank, turned my face away and pulled the trigger :D lol

Ive got a ace utra s5,the hole is very small or should i say tight,there is only a few fow clearance around the bullet,threading this needs doing to perfection, when I checked mine and seen how tight it was I spoke to peter jackson to double check before I fired, pointed rifle towards a bank, turned my face away and pulled the trigger :D lol

Just checked a bullet Berger 185 grn VLD really close fit. mmmmm now what to do ?

I would speak to mr Dane if he's threaded it! I doubt very much hes to blame as he is a very good gunsmith and a gent to boot.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation

I would speak to mr Dane if he's threaded it! I doubt very much hes to blame as he is a very good gunsmith and a gent to boot.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation

I have spoken to Paddy and one explanation could be the bullet length of the Berger 185 VLD is much longer than the norm and the bullet is not stabilising before reaching the end of the mod. I have measured the exit hole and there is at least the 1mm all round clearance needed for a 308 bullet. Next step is to load some shorter bullets and see if I get a group. I will get to the range sometime but off to Croatia next week for the Boar. Thanks for the comments so far.

The moderator should not effect any bullet no matter how long or short !
Check your barrels not touching the stock once you've fitted the moderator

I would agree with the above
a properly fitted mod should have no effect on the rifle mine do not even effect poi

Check the stock and the crown ? Did you have them recrown at the same time?

I have spoken to Paddy and one explanation could be the bullet length of the Berger 185 VLD is much longer than the norm and the bullet is not stabilising before reaching the end of the mod. I have measured the exit hole and there is at least the 1mm all round clearance needed for a 308 bullet. Next step is to load some shorter bullets and see if I get a group. I will get to the range sometime but off to Croatia next week for the Boar. Thanks for the comments so far.

So your mod has a 9.5mm hole.

Sounds like the bullet should be like a ***** in a shirtsleeve.

My money's on barrel/stock contact.

Back