Thread: Vanguard S2 vs Howa 1500

Vanguard S2 vs Howa 1500

Good evening folks, I know this question has been asked before and I have had a trawl through some of the previous posts but I haven't quite found the answers I am after, so maybe you can help me.

I know the Howa and Vanguard have the same/similar actions except the vanguard has a slightly better trigger and bolt. However, I am more curious about the stock I know most say the Howa has a very solid reliable stock (Hogue). What are the general views on the Vanguard stock? Is it as good/better/worse. If you had the option which would you choose? I have been quite more less the same price for both.

thanks in advance

ive got a vanguard mk1 and the stock is very good. from what I read on some threads better than the hogue on howas but I am putting a thumbhole on it now just because I like them

I've had a Howa in a Hogue and there is nothing wrong with them although the forend on the Hogue could perhaps be made a little more attractive. However, if I were in your shoes I'd now go with a Howa with the Bell & Carlson option albeit at a bit of an uplift in price.

Kind regards,

Just curious, but what kind of price are we talking about? Over here the old model Vanguard is roughly the same price (or maybe a bit cheaper) than a basic Howa 1500, but the S2 is about 200 more.

Great guys, thanks for your replies. Looking at the S2 sub MOA quote 525 howa 500. The 2 features pushing me towards the S2 are the fluted bolt and slightly better trigger for 25 extra. Also, I would have to agree the forfend on Howa could do with a little rounding off, but I guess looks aren't everything if it fires well. I was set on the Howa for weeks and then started to read about the S2 and I think it might just steal it.

Also does anyone know if the vanguard is screw cut on the blued sporter version? I seem to be finding different answers. thanks

sportsman gun centre have the blued sporter as a combo deal' so it is screw cut. I have a S.2 stainless and found the stock felt a fair bit stiffer on the forend and nicer to handle.

Aye, yes i seen that. Think it looks like a decent buy. would you say you're well chuffed with it?