spot lights

Hulse

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right place but if wrong can it please be moved

I have purchased some spot lights to fit to the grill of my 4x4 and it says it needs a relay and I'm not sure if I need a certain type ? I have a switch and thought that would be enough ?

Does anyone know if I need one and if so what type ?

Thanks

Wiring direct to a switch would almost certainly instantaneously melt your wiring.

A relay is used to supply a heavy current demand by using a low current through a coil to switch on heavier current through to a device such as a lamp.

This is not bad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay

Hulse, you'll pick one up at halfrauds or similar online.
They'll have a wiring diagram on the bottom of the relay and usually in the packaging too.
They're not too involved to do, they have a feed from the main beam to actuate the relay, an earth, the power feed for the spotlights which should come direct from battery via an inline fuse, then the feed to the spots.
If you struggle, post or pm on here with some pics of the relay you get, I'll point you in the right direction.

Also worth making sure the cables you use are up to the job, and whatever you do- don't use Scotchlocks they are the spawn of satan and downright dangerous at times.

Hulse, you'll pick one up at halfrauds or similar online.
They'll have a wiring diagram on the bottom of the relay and usually in the packaging too.
They're not too involved to do, they have a feed from the main beam to actuate the relay, an earth, the power feed for the spotlights which should come direct from battery via an inline fuse, then the feed to the spots.
If you struggle, post or pm on here with some pics of the relay you get, I'll point you in the right direction.

Also worth making sure the cables you use are up to the job, and whatever you do- don't use Scotchlocks they are the spawn of satan and downright dangerous at times.

​Great thanks for the advise lets hope I don't end up in flames haha

Back