Cambs firearms dept take some beating for quality service!

stratts

I know a lot of forces get a bad rap but I gotta say Cambs firearms dept are the nuts! They are a grounded bunch, easy to talk to (especially my FEO) and couldn't be more helpful.

I asked about getting my cert opened up to save the bother of getting land cleared each time and it was granted no probs. I work close by so called in this morning to drop off my old cert and they printed my new one while I was there, how's that for service!!

I now have all my rifles on an open condition with AOLQ to boot - that's FAC air, 22LR, 22WMR, 22-250, 243 and 308!!

Happy days and keep up the good work guys!! :D

I'll second the assertion of "great service" - they are very good. FEO for my recent FAC was very fair and - if I'd have been in to be interviewed - they'd have turned my application round in 3 days. In the end, it took a few weeks, but I can't fault them at all - it came back with .308 and mod, AOLQ and the usual closed condition, which - judging by the above - I'll talk to them about in a couple of years and see if I can get it removed.

Britain's finest collection of 20th Century firearms used to be held by a distinguished private collector in Cambridgeshire. That was until the police there used threats and intimidation to run him out of town. He left the country and took his collection with him, to the country's great loss. It was a very sorry episode and Cambridgeshire police should still be ashamed of their behaviour.

Be interesting to hear more on this how long ago and would you care to add more detail or a name, weblink?

I obviously speak of only my own dealings,

​Stratts

I won't name names but when I saw him in Switzerland in 2008 he showed me the letters he'd been sent by Cambridgeshire which instructed him to dispose of his collection or face the loss of his FAC/RFD/Sect 5 approvals with confiscation then likely to follow. No justification given at the time, it seemed that "just because we can" was the reason behind it. Fortunately his collection was then exported, and is currently being eagerly purchased by American collectors at auction. Their gain, but our loss since those historic guns won't be in displays of antique weaponry in British museums in 200 years time.

I had nothing but bother with them, they used to love all the stupid clauses they could get on a FAC. When I moved up here the FLO just laughed and said he had never seen so much rubbish on a ticket!! Oh and to question them was normally responded with a threat to remove all you guns if you appealed against their decision :-|

I have had the same great service from cambs, how did you approach the subject of an open ticket, did you send a letter if so what was the wording of it. Thanks!

Back