Grouping issue

hutt

Hello,

Yesterday I zeroed my rifle (Tikka M595 .243 w/wildcat mod, S&B 6x42) for a stalk I have booked next week. fired 3 shots at 100 meters, formed a neat triangular 1" group in center of target. I thought, seeing as I had plenty I've shoot a few more groups for fun. Each group I shot after that got increasingly sporadic. The next one were all on the same horizontal axis but where 2" and 3" respectively left of center, the next group where even further from each other and included divergence on the horizontal as well as vertical axis.

I am thinking something bad is happening when the barrel has heater up a little - and it's time for a trip to the gunsmith, or is there an easy diagnosis and fix a novice can do from home? a tenner fits around the barrel when cold - forgot to try when warm.

Hello,

Yesterday I zeroed my rifle (Tikka M595 .243 w/wildcat mod, S&B 6x42) for a stalk I have booked next week. fired 3 shots at 100 meters, formed a neat triangular 1" group in center of target. I thought, seeing as I had plenty I've shoot a few more groups for fun. Each group I shot after that got increasingly sporadic. The next one were all on the same horizontal axis but where 2" and 3" respectively left of center, the next group where even further from each other and included divergence on the horizontal as well as vertical axis.

I am thinking something bad is happening when the barrel has heater up a little - and it's time for a trip to the gunsmith, or is there an easy diagnosis and fix a novice can do from home? a tenner fits around the barrel when cold - forgot to try when warm.

I'd say check the barrel float after its warmed up a little, if you use it for stalking it probably won't make any difference as youi are unlikely to fire more than 3 shots in quick succession.

Regards,
Garry

Hello,

Be sure to let the barrel cool between shots. Leave it a full minute. The .243 in quite a hot cartridge.

If you are getting lateral dispersion, that indicates you are not being consistent in your hold/aim. You may be altering you cheek weld to the butt between shots, which results in your eye being in a different position when you aim. Your muscles may be getting tired. Make sure you are comfortable when you shoot. What sort of position are you shooting from, prone? If you are shooting off a bipod, is it resting on a soft or hard surface? If the latter, change to a soft surface (put your gunslip beneath it or move off concrete onto soil). Are you using a back bag to steady the butt? If not, you need to use one if you are to test a rifle for accuracy as it eliminates the human wobble factor. Lastly, a 6x scope will limit what you can achieve at 100 metres but since you got a 1" group both you are the rifle are up to it.

My advice is to change nothing (except use a back bag), take the rifle out and test it again leaving a full minute between shots. Fire a group of three. If it groups to your satisfaction, go home and look forward to your stalking confident in the knowledge that you and your rifle are well up to the task.

-JMS

Hello,

hello mate,flustrating isn't it,but don't worry about it do a few checks and then shoot again for piece of mind as you don't want any negatives thoughts when your just about to drop the hammer on a beast.
first of all I weuld say it a mod problem,wildcats are well known for coming loose as there in 2 pieces,go and fire a few rounds in sucession then with gloves as the mod will be hot really tighten it together,this will stop it happening again,other than that locktight the bugger.it wont move then

My money is on the wildcat moderator being the source of your problems, I've seen loads with internal issues. Not sure how they keep managing to sell them when there are plenty of better options out there.

Take it off and re-zero, unless the estate that you are booked with insists on a moderator I would leave it off for a while otherwise it will be in the back of your mind and knock your confidence.

If i'm reading this right, after your first group you are getting a horizontal string. A horizontal string is down to poor trigger control, slow down and take your time between shots

Al

The Wildcat P8 is made up of more than two pieces. The baffle stack is made up of at least three then there is the body tube, the inner tube and the rear cap and then the bush:-

That is not a total strip down either.

i would also check over the scope rings are tight and on the action tight

Last edited:
What mounts and rings are you using? Take some pictures and post them if you are not sure. Some have horizontal adjustment by tiny hex head bolts hidden either side of the rear base. Where are you located? There are lots of experience and helpful SD members that would check over your rifle for you. A reputable gunsmith would be my first port of call if I were in your shoes.

i had this on my sako 223 with optilock mounts found it to be the securing screw for the rings being loose(the one underneath the mount, you need to remove the mounts to check it)
cheers
reelme

1st thing to check is EVERYTHING that could possibly come loose is actually tight. Things that have caught me out are: As reelme says the securing screws for the rings(this one was a real pain as the scope/rifle was setup by someone else and issued to me). It took me ages to discover. The most common one is the mod coming loose. This can be on the barrel threads or the bush coming loose.

I had a similar experience, and it was a loose moderator.

To diagnose, shoot a few groups without the mod.
+1 to that did it once,it was two day before i went for my level 1, wasted a box of bullet ,went home to clean the rifle then found out the moderator was loose ,went down about 4 hour later and scoped it again with 3 bullets :doh:

Thank you all, I've arranged to take it to Steve at Ivythorn to have a look. I've got optilocks - so thank you for letting me know about the extra screws!!
I also can't for the life of me get the mod apart.. so it may be hammer time.

What mounts and rings are you using? Take some pictures and post them if you are not sure. Some have horizontal adjustment by tiny hex head bolts hidden either side of the rear base. Where are you located? There are lots of experience and helpful SD members that would check over your rifle for you. A reputable gunsmith would be my first port of call if I were in your shoes.

Just took these - With first two groups on paper chucked in for good measure.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

By looking at the 2nd group do you by any chance have your thumb wrapped around the pistol grip as opposed to forward in line with the action?

By looking at the 2nd group do you by any chance have your thumb wrapped around the pistol grip as opposed to forward in line with the action?

What a strange comment. I wonder just how many use the strange grip suggested above?

Myself I have always gripped the stock or pistol grip normally. That is with the thumb over the top as if I was holding a pistol. This was certainly considered normal just look at the position of the safety catch one the Lee Enfield rifles.

What a strange comment. I wonder just how many use the strange grip suggested above?

Myself I have always gripped the stock or pistol grip normally. That is with the thumb over the top as if I was holding a pistol. This was certainly considered normal just look at the position of the safety catch one the Lee Enfield rifles.
Just a thought fella. When I was new to rifle shooting I used to horizontally string my groups until I was put right by an elderly stalker. Hence the thumb forward grip.
ps. I wasn't looking for your approval , I was just making an observation

Back