match chambering

Tighter chamber which should make the rifle more accurate but in the case case of a .22 semi auto will mean that the rifle ammo combination may be a right pain in the arse with only certain ammo feeding properly. With the .22 Anschutz rifle it means that unfired rounds get stuck in the chamber when you try to unload and you have to resort to a knife.

In centre fire rifles I have only ever come across it in target rifles and once again they were ammo fussy so I can't see any benefit in a sporting rifle.

Throating for a particular bullet is a different bird though, I agree with Mike's post, I had a Border barrel with the throat optimised for the 69 grain HP Nosler, shoots great, but I certainly would not want a "tight" chamber... one speck of grit or some other on the case wall,.... even rainwater could cause trouble.:eek:

This reminds of Big Johns Grunig target rifle. I think he spent more time poking the fired cases out with a rod than he did shooting. That was a pure match rifle and RG Black spot just didn't want to extract at all.

This reminds of Big Johns Grunig target rifle. I think he spent more time poking the fired cases out with a rod than he did shooting. That was a pure match rifle and RG Black spot just didn't want to extract at all.

Well, if one uses military issue ammo in a match chamber, what can you expect?

-JMS

Well, if one uses military issue ammo in a match chamber, what can you expect?

-JMS

So your saying that the NRA at it's Imperial Meeting with the issued ammunition has got it all wrong?

The entry to this meeting and the Queens competition is with issued ammunition. John competed in the Queens every year as I recall amongst other comps during the Imperial meeting.

My understanding is that match chambering uses an undersize reamer that is ideal for cases with turned necks. The implication then is that using standard cases with normal neck thickness could result in the neck being unable to expand sufficiently to release the bullet, resulting in potentially catastrophic over-pressure. If anyone knows different/better then I would appreciate more information on this myself, especially the objective and benefits of neck-turned cases. I'm sure we have some F-Class shooters who are familiar with this.

I have never found minimal headspacing to give the best accuracy. When I was at school, the head machining instructor was retired from the US Army's gunsmithing division where he was in charge of building the match rifles. HE said best accuracy was with headspace between minimum and maximum and had the files full of targets to back it up. ~Muir

I believe your getting confused with Match and tight neck chambering. Match chambers are cut with a reamer of specific quality to possibly slightly tighter tolerances. Asking a chamber reamer manufacturer would be the idea to find out for sure. In Production runs of normal rifles reamers may be re-sharpened several times those cut with a normal new reamer will have a slightly larger chamber than those cut with the reamer before it's scraped or retired from use as several sharpening will have reduced it's size a little.

​Tight neck chambers are just that and they require the use of specially prepared brass and often that means neck turning. Your into BR territory then.

In the case of a match .22LR chamber there is a masive difference to the run of the mill standard chamber on all production .22LRs
Match .22LR chambers have a much shorter lead then standard chamber, some actually engrave the driving band of the bullet, typical examples are Anschutz, Bentz and Winchester Match.

Ian.

Back