magic load

swarovski

Seems like ive found the magic 1000yd load for my 6.5 06,142gr smk sat on 48.2grs of n160, a mate had a go, thats awesome he said, he put 5 downrange into around 4 inches off my rear sandbag, I didnt do it justice today really and discovered with my mate spotting that I am pulling some shots, probaly down to hunting style t3 varmint stock.

Watched it with my own eye's, I didnt use that load on my first shoot in the interclub comp, I used scenar load because I tried a few shots with them and must of pulled one without realising and swapped ammo,I did try them on 2nd shoot,3 of my 4 siters markers were nearly touching, pulled the 4th a bit, another sd member called guesty was there and he shot his 6mm br and put 15 out of 18 shots into a 1 foot scoring circle, now that was impressive, 10 of which was inside 6 inches :eek: kinell :cool:

Last edited:
I am sure he over heard me telling someone about how my 6.5 06 just shot, I forwarded yesterdays results to him as he wasnt emailed them.amazing accuracy :eek:

Thanks for the email. I was very surprised that my rifle did so well being a single shot target rifle, and that grouping was during the 1000 yard snaps competition, which I have never tried before. In fact, that's the rifles first time at 1000 yards and my second time at that distance ever.
Unfortunately I only had 19 rounds of which I had to waste one as a sighter, then use the remaining 18 and the competition required 20 to score.
I had a huge dose of beginners luck and the wind was very kind, but next time I must bring more ammo!

Last edited:
Seems like ive found the magic 1000yd load for my 6.5 06,142gr smk sat on 48.2grs of n160, a mate had a go, thats awesome he said, he put 5 downrange into around 4 inches off my rear sandbag, I didnt do it justice today really and discovered with my mate spotting that I am pulling some shots, probaly down to hunting style t3 varmint stock.

Hi, what velocity are you getting from your 6.5 06? Just started using a .260AI myself. My fireforming loads are producing 2860 fps with 139gr Scenars.

I wound mine back from around 3000fps as they were to hot, down to around 2860fps ish now, them cases wont do many shots before primer pockets are slack, that seems awfully fast for that little case, my 308 will get rebarrelled in 260ai once all my powder and bullets are gone, april time probaly

It's not too fast, just a max load of H4350 for a standard .260 case.
The AI loadings should be able to make 2900-2950fps from my 26'' barrel.
How long have you been shooting the 6.5 06? I'm a great fan of the 6.5mm's.

Last edited:
A couple of months, still testing ammo really,found a great load last visit to bisley, my second shoot using that load was way better but my mate was spotting and it were having a bit of fun, I shot and he said where to aim, I ended up with 7 on the backer just of the edge of the target, conditions were perfect, should of peppered the middle of the target which doesnt reflect on how good it can shoot,i did test some imr 4350 loads and they were really good, equally as good as n160 load.would like to try some bergers at some point.what sort of accuracy are you getting out of your 260ai on them velocities.

Last edited:
Watched it with my own eye's, I didnt use that load on my first shoot in the interclub comp, I used scenar load because I tried a few shots with them and must of pulled one without realising and swapped ammo,I did try them on 2nd shoot,3 of my 4 siters markers were nearly touching, pulled the 4th a bit, another sd member called guesty was there and he shot his 6mm br and put 15 out of 18 shots into a 1 foot scoring circle, now that was impressive, 10 of which was inside 6 inches :eek: kinell :cool:

Don't underestimate the ability of the 6mmBR.

Shot mine on Stickledown a couple of summers back with a mate who's in the GB F Class team next to me shooting his 7mm WSM F Class rig and was matching him V bull for V bull on a standard TR target (no idea what diameter the V bull is on those but am sure someone will know?). The 6mmBR was holding it's own all the way, the only noticeable difference was when we read the wind wrong - he didn't get blown as far off as I did with my lighter slower bullets.

Have shot the same rifle at 1200 yards too but you really do need the wind to be kind to you to get decent results at that range; that's why I have a 6.5x47 Lapua too...

Just a question on Lapua 6.5 bullets... When I first got the 6.5x47 I bought 300 rounds of factory ammo to be getting on with and provide me brass for reloading. I noticed a few flyers from it and put it down to being factory ammo. I then reloaded it using 123gn Scenars with an identical factory loading (rifle had the chamber/throat cut for factory ammo) and still got flyers (1 shot in maybe 5-8 rounds fired).

I then changed to 123gn SMKs and have not had the problem since - only problem I get is the occasional 'yip' my end that sends one where I didn't mean it to go...

As a consequence I have circa 800 123gn Lapua Scenar bullets sat in the cupboard doing not a lot - anyone fancy offering to swap them for 800 123gn SMKs??

Fliers probaly due to a hottish load, I could run my 6.5 06 to 3000fps firing a slow 3 shot group but when I shoot 24 shots in 10 plus minutes doing 4 shot bursts I would get a sticky bolt occasionly and primers were proper flat, reducing the load improved things alround,2850 odd fps is spot on for n160 142gr smk load, tried the imr 4350 load 0.5gr less when I tested them at Bisley, when I tested them at 100yds with 46.5gr they were doing nearly 2900fps, the 142gr smk may like going faster with imr, not sure I will bother though, ive found an alterative if I need it.

Back