advice on section 1 shotgun

pbear94

I know this has probably been asked a fair few times so I apologise. I finally have enough money saved up to get a section 1 shotgun, but I cant decide whether I want it to be a semi or a pump. ive had multiples of both before and have many held onto the pumps. my question is id there any advantage having a semi auto when you have a higher round count in the tube or is it just the same as if its only a 3 shot?

thanks in advance

I had a three shot and now have an 8 shot
I dont shoot anymore with the 8 shot, if you miss with the first 3 you wont get it with the forth

Regards

TH

Just go for the make and model you like best. What do you get out of your cabinet most?

Go with that.

ATB,

Scrummy

I got my Clect taken off my 500 and its now true cylinder and a short 24.5 inch barrel that comes up a dream and is very light. I never worry about choke and the sight picture is clean without the Ragmans trumpet to spoil the view.

I like the pump action but the action of 'pumping it' is tha you loose your target acquisition so I think it negates the need for all those rounds anyway! Much rather stick to a semi auto and if you miss you can just keep pulling the trigger! As for all the people who say three is enough, maybe they just couldn't be bothered to apply for an FAC one! I love my benelli that has the option of 6 or add a tube in a few seconds to make it many more. When I go pigeon shooting the advantage of a semi auto is that you wat for more and more to land before you get up and start shooting and then don't stop till the magazine is empty! 3 shots is not really much more of an advantage than a double barrel and a couple of handy cartridges.......

The huge advantage of the semi-automatic (and as others said I see no benefit at all in any pump action) is not having to break the gun to reload. This makes it the safest of all actions to use in a hide for pigeon or crows as the gun can always be kept with the muzzle vertical. More shots again means less fumbling to reload and in bad weather the cartridges are forever being taken out of pockets or bags or belts.

The disadvantage is that unlike a double you don't have instant choke selection at the pull of a trigger. But that in itself is at its best in a true double gun (SBS or OU) that has double triggers rather than a selector switch.

I used to use a unrestricted Browning 16 bore Auto-5 for pigeons and gulls and had it in s1. As I don't have need to shoot gulls any longer I disposed of it some twenty years ago. As another post says it gives a HUGE advantage...if you are accurate enough...on decoying pigeons!

I bought my M2 second hand for a good price. Many like the 'hat stand' but it seems a lot get rid of them when they are past the warranty because of the problems that ensue. I tried one and yes it jammed, a lot, which did make me think I would buy well, buy once. Not much help there sorry but I knew what I wanted.

that seems pretty reasonable, still a little bit out of my budget though. I havnt seen any second hand m2's come up for sale lately. ive seen that one in the sales section and im just waiting on the guy getting back to me. if all else fails I have seen a fac Mossberg 500 that will have to do until I find a cheap benelli

Back