rtc dispatch training for police

sir-lamp-alot

after finding a young mutjac doe today struck by a car unable to move both her back legs i had to call out the police to dispatch her as i had nothing on me (work frowns quite heavily apon me carring a rifle in my cab aparently), when the officer turnt up it took him 3 shots to kill the doe thinking he had killed it on the 1st shot which was through the throat and after me explaining i was a stalker and the deer was very much still alive and to shot it in the chest to finish it he took a 2nd in the liver and then finaly after me touching the spot the bullet needed to go the 3rd and final shot was taken where the doe very quickly expired, now the officer was a nice enough chap and was keen to end the deers life as quickly as possible but he just seemed to lack a basic understanding of how to actualy kill the deer and was quite shocked when i told him not to head shot it and was more than happy when i offered to show him where to shot the deer afterwards and explaining why with the deer still very mobile a head shot wasnt his best option but surley shouldnt of he been trained in how to deal with situations like this? i dont want this to seem as a dig at the police as to be honest rtc deer must take up a very small portion of there day to day work and i truley felt sorry for the chap as he just wanted to do the right thing

2p worth
​i agree he needs training not slating off, why not offer your skills to the Head of police firearms training dept and do a training day for them ;)

For interests sake, which of the many tools available to the young constable did he opt for? I hope it wasn't the Tazer or baton round?

It just highlights how unsuitable these "humane" dispatch firearms are when used in certain circumstances.................at the expense of deer welfare

Not allowed to shoot them at the roadside in Police Scotland (well Lothians area any how), have to take the deer to the vets to be humanely dispatched if reported.

is there any course's anyone (us) can go on for this? I,ve tried looking it up before but couldn't find any courses.
stav

When they carry a benelli semi 12 with birdshot, to slug available in the ARV. :/ ​Pete

i can't speak for your force but Sussex certainly don't carry shotguns in their ARVs. The only ones who can use a shotgun are rifle officers from Gatwick which is usually a long ETA to the wilds of the Sussex countryside.

Im aware that the BDS and Deer Initiative are keen to pass on training re roadside dispatch.

In my area, the dispatch is carried out by on call stalkers - not ARV personnel.

There is some background info here. Dispatch of animals was once the responsibility of rifle trained officers in most policing areas in England and Wales. With the step up to more ARVs dispatch training was incorporated for all officers, with dangerous dogs rather than deer in mind I suspect. The officer who turned up would have had the College of Policing package as part of the required yearly training and may have practised shooting a deer or bull target but in reality dispatch training is a long way down the very long list of learning outcomes.
The best option for them is probably the shotgun if one is really available. Not all ARVs will have one or have officers qualified to use it.
You will note that the word 'humane' has now been dropped in favour of 'dispatches animals' as the learning outcome.
The probability is that the deer was the first thing he had ever had to shoot.

When they carry a benelli semi 12 with birdshot, to slug available in the ARV. :/

​Pete

As Nun Hunter can vouch, Sussex ARV's don't carry the Benelli
I can vouch GMP ARV's don't carry one either, as with Sussex it's down to rifle officers, in GMP's case they would have to return to the armoury draw the extra weapon then respond to the scene, if there was a rifle officer on duty at the time

So come on Pete identify with all your knowledge which forces do carry the Benelli your obviously an expert on police issue equipment

Not allowed to shoot them at the roadside in Police Scotland (well Lothians area any how), have to take the deer to the vets to be humanely dispatched if reported.

really?
Why? can see a whole load of ball ache putting a kicking struggling deer into a van before you open the can of worms about welfare.

My father was a practising vet for 40 years and on the occasion that the ARU did arrive to despatch they were usually only too happy to take instruction from him on EXACTLY where to shoot them
(admittedly that was Northumbria Police)

Yeah, I was having a discussion with a local bobby the other week and he was telling me about it. I said he should have given me a ring and thats when he told me they have to drive them into the vets to have it done. Doesn't seem very fair and very stressful for the deer i would have thought.

As Nun Hunter can vouch, Sussex ARV's don't carry the Benelli
I can vouch GMP ARV's don't carry one either, as with Sussex it's down to rifle officers, in GMP's case they would have to return to the armoury draw the extra weapon then respond to the scene, if there was a rifle officer on duty at the time

So come on Pete identify with all your knowledge which forces do carry the Benelli your obviously an expert on police issue equipment
May be my ignorance showing here but why has it got to be a rifle officer to use a shotgun? I find it difficult to believe the normal firearms officers are incapable of using a shotgun ?

Yeah, I was having a discussion with a local bobby the other week and he was telling me about it. I said he should have given me a ring and thats when he told me they have to drive them into the vets to have it done. Doesn't seem very fair and very stressful for the deer i would have thought.

Ah, so its the Police that have to drive them

what if the Police involve a.n.other person?
would they be able to shoot them at the roadside?

Back