Selling a house and gun cabinets

countrryboy

This may seem a stupid question and i never thought about it till very recently and never been involved in this sort off thing before.

Thinking of selling my house but worried about folk coming round and nosing in cupboards as my cabinets are hidden in there. I think it would be very hard to properly hide them so people wouldn't notice them, infact would probaly just attract attention. Thought about putting locks on cupboard doors but would imagine folk would think i'm hiding something? (and not just gun cabinets)

Also i take it it will be a big NO NO to give the estate agent a key to show folk round while i am at work (obviously guns and ammo would be locked up and any shotgun ammo hidden elsewhere) even if i have all cabinet keys on me so there is no chance off them gaining access to anything

Cheers for any advice, and like i say probably a stupid question but just never had to do anything like this afore

Depends on the type of house and the way it's been marketed.
Secure gun storage might be a selling point if it's a country house being viewed by country buyers.
I know that when my parents sold their old place there was no secret made of "the gun room".

Unless you suspect your house is particulary attractive to local criminals I see no reason why you need to worry about it. So long as your keys for the cabinet are with you when others are in your house and not under your supervision then they don't have access to guns and no law broken. That is the whole point of a cabinet.

Just to make clear i will be taking cabinets with me when i move, it's just if i'm still living here and got it on the market.

I wish i had a proper gun room VSS ;)

Cheers Woodmaster, that's good i'm a bit surprised thought it would have been a bigger issue

Pretty sure it's not a problem. I'm sure other people are in your home without a FAC while your'e at work etc and you don't have to do anything different then?
​I wouldn't go broadcasting it but if they happen to notice them I'd not be too bothered.

Moved house this summer and didn't really worry too much about the gun cabinet being spotted by buyers. The cabinet was in a built in wardrobe In the old house and I guess viewers might have seen it but nothing was ever mentioned.

I sold my house 18 months ago and my agent regularly showed clients around in my absence. I had three cabinets in a cupboard and I never told the agent what they were. It was not their business to know, neither did I want to draw attention.
People put houses on the market everyday with agent viewing that contain "SAFE'S" which includes gun cabinet safes.

I told my estate agent the room was haunted.

Got £3 grand over the asking price from the veggie hippy psychic who bought it.

You'd think, being psychic she'd have realised!

We had no problems selling our old house and i had 2 rifle cabinets and a ammo box in the converted attic,

i told the estate agent that if asked tell them the truth,

he did.

and it sold after just 3 months,

new house,new job/ less money,less rifles/shotguns= just the one cabinet, but we don't plan on selling this one :)

bob.

Do be aware that gun cabinets, as they are bolted to the fabric of the house, are fixtures in law. So unless you specifically exclude them a buyer may be expecting them included in the sale price.

Look just tell the potential buyers that they contain copies various confidential documents computer discs etc. to do with your brother's employment or business that you keep as a favour as "back up" for the business stored away form the business.

And you don't, at your request, have the keys but if the cabinets are included in the house price they will be given on exchange of contract.

Cheers folks,

I just started thinking about it and got worried about giving smeone acces to house and folk seing where cabinets where from a security perspective, didn't want to be getting in trouble with the firearms dept, this has put my mind at rest.
Just hope i'm as lucky as a few of u and get a quick sale. Fingers crossed

I will try throwing some jackets or blacket over them to try and disguise them a wee bit.
Cheers again folks

my house came with a gun cablinet that was left by the previous owner (I didn't stalk at the time, but didn't think much of it...). Turns out it also came with half a dozen rounds of live ammunition that the previous owner had left rolling about on the floor of the cabinet! :eek:

Sold my house earlier this year, my cabinet was on plain show in the bedroom, and the back room had a reloading bench. I didn't bother to cover anything up and didn't have any problems from viewers. House sold fairly easily too :)

Back