Shooting calves / fawns ?

Win Mod 70

I was sent the following and would be interest to hear what those who manage deer outside of the Highlands think.
[h=2]Leaving even well grown Red deer calves creates a welfare issue.[/h]Mark Lazzeri Land Manager at North Harris Trust

A five or six month old red deer calf may be nutritionally independent, but they are NOT socially independent. A ten to fourteen year old human may know how to feed itself, but how many could really cope on their own. That is the equivalent result of taking a Red deer hind at this time of year and leaving her calf. Not only should the responsible stalker take the calf as well as the hind, but I would always advocate taking the calf first. There is NO chance of leaving an orphan that way. Test with experienced stalkers has shown that they could often only accurately match hinds to calves about 60% of the time. Even if the correct pairing is identified, once its dam has been shot, the calf will often NOT stand by waiting for her, but will follow aunties or grandmother if they run off. Take every precaution possible not to leave an orphan - it is your moral responsibility.

Win Mod 70

I manage deer 'in' the highlands, as well as roe in the borders, and from experience and observation I can safely confirm that orphaned kids and calves do NOT fare well, and do struggle for survival.

Shooting the hinds/does away from their young is just bad practice, end of. I know if cull targets or objectives are to be met it can be considered necessary to cull the older animal before the following, hoping the follower will remain for the 2nd shot; however,,,not my cup of tea at all.

Always shoot the calfs/yeld hind etc first and you'll never have an issue, the are the tenderest anyway...

I shot a roe buck on the 14th July last year weighing just 22lb. The average weight for a yearling on this area is 30-33lb. The animal was healthy and not even particularly thin but just tiny with antlers only 2cm and 4cm in length. After some discussion it was concluded that this animal had been orphaned too early in it's life and had therefore had it's growth stunted.
So although it probably is common knowledge it does no harm in sending out a little reminder at this time of year about avoiding orphaning youngsters purely in the interests of deer welfare.

Back