Out with the keeper today.

pezz69

Asked if the keeper needed a hand today u of course his reply was yesterday.

First time I have been out with a keeper doing a days work. Well now I know that it isn't all about what I thought it was, I think it's time I made some in roads in to getting a job under a keeper even as his bitch!

I think it's where my heart lies, I didn't have a problem getting up this morning nor do I when going beating for him. My day job I have to drag myself out of bed just to get in the shower!

Then we ended up watching the hunt in the afternoon, not a bad life ey? Yes I know it's not always like this especially during when the poults are delivered and the rearing starts but most certainly think its where my heart belongs!

Nathan

Having a full time job and being a keeper now that's a different animal all together ! try that for a while takes the shine Off things lol
all joking apart keepering isn't a job it's a life style not what it used to be but if your fortunate to get a good boss with sound guns then why not give it a go ,too many pitfalls to fall into but keep yr nose clean and work hard who knows .i reared even though I'm p/time but saw the light no rephrase that discovered stalking ! rearing birds from day olds means work from may onwards your life's not your own and you need a very understanding partner ! Still keepering so it can't be all bad can it !
good luck
​norma

Last edited:
we start from febuary laying hens the lot we are on call 24/7 all year round not many people do it anymore there is a reason for that I know 3 or 4 people have gone into it and gave up after a year never to do it again what does that say not what it seems a lot of worry no real time off if rearing from scratch and rubbish pay but there is pros do what I want when I want as long as the job is done and it is a way of life not a job

weatherby you hit the nail on the head, way of life not a job, trouble is you used to get a house and job for life if all went well, now it's about money.

The enjoyment of stalking isn't just in pulling the trigger. For me, it's the same with game shooting. Merely pulling the trigger is for city banker types and lazy people. I soon learnt that I wanted to be involved with as many aspects as possible. But it's still a hobby for me. I can see that being a keeper on a commercial shoot releasing a lot of birds, especially ones reared in house and being the person where the buck stops on shoot days takes a massive amount of hours most of the year and creates a lot of stress. You're never going to be rich either. It really does have to be a calling.

Its great if you had time to watch the hunt in the afternoon I wish I had time when I had my shoot!

Go with your heart and see if keepering is your life. I am a firm beleiver in not having regrets so I would give it a go if it were me, you can always change direction later on if you want a new career. But at least you will have tried. Good luck with whatever you do.

Regards

Seibassman

Asked if the keeper needed a hand today u of course his reply was yesterday.

First time I have been out with a keeper doing a days work. Well now I know that it isn't all about what I thought it was, I think it's time I made some in roads in to getting a job under a keeper even as his bitch!

I think it's where my heart lies, I didn't have a problem getting up this morning nor do I when going beating for him. My day job I have to drag myself out of bed just to get in the shower!

Then we ended up watching the hunt in the afternoon, not a bad life ey? Yes I know it's not always like this especially during when the poults are delivered and the rearing starts but most certainly think its where my heart belongs!

Nathan

my year
jan - shooting , cleaing up after shooting
feb - pressure washing
march - sept - rearing feild
sept - -November - dogging in , feeding etc
dec - possibly day of at xmas & shooting

I completely understand its a way of life mate, we were talking today and he was saying he doesn't have a problem getting up at 4am some mornings but if he had a job to go to he couldnt get up for 8! I have no problem getting up that time when i know i am doing something shootinjg related, work on the other hand is a completely different matter! I don't have a mrs thankfully bud so im ok on that part haha.

Having a full time job and being a keeper now that's a different animal all together ! try that for a while takes the shine Off things lol
all joking apart keepering isn't a job it's a life style not what it used to be but if your fortunate to get a good boss with sound guns then why not give it a go ,too many pitfalls to fall into but keep yr nose clean and work hard who knows .i reared even though I'm p/time but saw the light no rephrase that discovered stalking ! rearing birds from day olds means work from may onwards your life's not your own and you need a very understanding partner ! Still keepering so it can't be all bad can it !
good luck
​norma

Im not bothered about the money! Today i was did it for free and didn't expect a penny in return and would of probably turned it away if i was offered it as i offered myself not being asked.

I have just had enough of being stuck in a factory all day and now i beat twice a week and out with the keeper today and hopefully any other time i get off work, it was ****ing down today, cold, windy and would of still rather been humping sacks of grain round in the cold and wet than in the cold factory.

The enjoyment of stalking isn't just in pulling the trigger. For me, it's the same with game shooting. Merely pulling the trigger is for city banker types and lazy people. I soon learnt that I wanted to be involved with as many aspects as possible. But it's still a hobby for me. I can see that being a keeper on a commercial shoot releasing a lot of birds, especially ones reared in house and being the person where the buck stops on shoot days takes a massive amount of hours most of the year and creates a lot of stress. You're never going to be rich either. It really does have to be a calling.

He didn't have that much to do today i don't think, just filled the hoppers up and that was pretty much it, ammusing hes got most of his jobs done already for this week otherwise im guessing we wouldnt of been watching the hunt.

I know for a fact its not like that everyday, just common sense makes you realise that.

Its great if you had time to watch the hunt in the afternoon I wish I had time when I had my shoot!

It's not what you know is it? It's who you know, and currently i only really know the one keeper, but who knows. Will have a chat with him next time i am out with him and ask if he knows of anybody that needs a general dogs body, only way i feel?

Nathan

Go with your heart and see if keepering is your life. I am a firm beleiver in not having regrets so I would give it a go if it were me, you can always change direction later on if you want a new career. But at least you will have tried. Good luck with whatever you do.

Regards

Seibassman

Would you have it any other way though?

my year
jan - shooting , cleaing up after shooting
feb - pressure washing
march - sept - rearing feild
sept - -November - dogging in , feeding etc
dec - possibly day of at xmas & shooting

go for it if you think it's for you :Dit's a great life when your young and fit ;)but one word of advice don't forget the future! make sure you sort out pension and house etc for when the time comes i have seen many older keepers retire only to get stuck in some shitty council flat cos they didn't prepare for that eventuality
the other thing to remember is it's great if you get a good employer and shoot but if as happens to many youend up with a succession of jobs it can be hard on wife and kids

Last edited:
I am almost certain it is for me mate, will give it some more time of helping out, different aspects etc and make a serious decision then however upto now i am 110% sure it is for me, i understand that too mate, but surely if you have a good mrs, she'd understand? just have to find em ey? luckily enough, i dont have either and nor do i plan to for sometime.

Nathan

UOTE=landkeeper;686393]go for it if you think it's for you :Dit's a great life when your young and fit ;)but one word of advice don't forget the future! make sure you sort out pension and house etc for when the time comes i have seen many older keepers retire only to get stuck in some shitty council flat cos they didn't prepare for that eventuality
the other thing to remember is it's great if you get a good employer and shoot but if as happens to many youend up with a succession of jobs it can be hard on wife and kids[/QUOTE]

I help out a mate who is a keeper sometimes.It can be fun, driving about with the silenced .410,stopping early to shoot some pigeon or rooks, foxing etc.Summers out in the fresh air.Hard work though.Building and maintaining pens.Receiving x amount of birds early one morning.Keeping them alive through pestillence and predation.Its a worry.
One year my mate lost 200 poults one night next to a pen.A vixen had been coming in the evening and running about nailing them.
From what i have seen, the job can be very good.Good estate, house provided,decent budget to run a shoot,enough birds bought in.On the other hand it can be pretty poor,run on a shoestring, no house, poor wages, part time pay but expecting a full days work,owners not paying for enough beaters.Come shoot day its the keeper fault when it all goes wrong.
However, most keepers i know love it and wouldnt want to do anything else.

Back