Blaser R8 Get it right first time

viney

I have asked for advise re the R8 in the past and I'm finally going to take the plunge and get a professional, although iv heard a bit of a horror story recently re a chap who had issues with it shaving brass. I assume this was a one off and don't know the fine detail but wondered if any other owners had come across this or any other issues which are worth mentioning, want to make sure before I bite the bullet so to say :D

Accurate, light, short even with the 23 inch barrel, easy to carry around stalking, fast to reload & reliable! I love my R8

Shaving brass is a referral to the rifles that score the case during cycling, no good for reloaders. The brass had a very deep line cut down the length of the brass.
I have seen this happen with R8s in 2 different configurations, barrels went back to Blaser but the new chambers/barrels did the same.
The owner, who has a wealth of experience with Blasers lost confidence and went for custom made rifles as he couldn't trust the Blaser anymore, he had owned R93s in many guises for many years without issue.

Shaving brass is a referral to the rifles that score the case during cycling, no good for reloaders. The brass had a very deep line cut down the length of the brass.
I have seen this happen with R8s in 2 different configurations, barrels went back to Blaser but the new chambers/barrels did the same.
The owner, who has a wealth of experience with Blasers lost confidence and went for custom made rifles as he couldn't trust the Blaser anymore, he had owned R93s in many guises for many years without issue.
Leupsak,
now that you mentioned this I noticed a very minor shaving on my used brass too, a very very light scratch on the brass that can not be detected by feel (touch) & can only be seen if you look close. Also it leaves a little shaving almost like powder brass on the bolt. Will this get worse in time??! Should I be contacting blaser or is this normal??!

Ah thanks for clarifying that.
i had lines lightly scored down my brass in my R8. I contacted Blaser and they said it was due to the bolt sliding over the cartridges in the magazine. Have had no adverse affects on accuracy.
I looked on the underside of the bolt and there is evidence of contact between the bolt and the next cartridge in the magazine.

Ah thanks for clarifying that.
i had lines lightly scored down my brass in my R8. I contacted Blaser and they said it was due to the bolt sliding over the cartridges in the magazine. Have had no adverse affects on accuracy.
I looked on the underside of the bolt and there is evidence of contact between the bolt and the next cartridge in the magazine.
So Blaser said it's normal & nothing to worry about??

They did not say of it was normal but a assume it is due to the spring in the magazine pushing the next round up to the bottom of the bolt.
has not caused me a problem.

Tim, did you also notice the very light scoring on the shells & powder like brass on the bolt or not?
cheers
​Sam

Not before you mentioned it.

With the benefit of a very strong light and a magnifying glass there are some very fine specks of brass, size perhaps 0.1mm or less around the firing pin hole in the bolt and just about visible a very feint vertical line on the case which appears to be cosmetic and have no depth at all.

atb Tim

Back