Posting a scope to Europe

Be very careful to check what actually is the value that you are covered for...some Royal Mail ONLY cover loss whilst in the UK...and also if the cover is weight proportionate.

​I have to say that I use DHL which is ONLINE TRACKABLE at every stage to send things regulalrly to Nigeria. And, at the click of a mouse I know exactly where it is at any moment. But do check if cover is stated as "up to £ 70 per kilo@ or somesuch and ask for extra cover.

Beware ANY Royal Mail to Italy as theft in the mail is notorious there. Indeed on ebay I won't send things to Italy or, because of customs problems, to Canada. Be warned!

also remember that if it's lost, you actually need to prove the value of the item, and a sales receipt from the buyer isn't good enough, it needs to be the original receipt from the store where you purchased the item, or they won't pay a penny..trust me, been there, done it.

if there's no original proof of purchase, no point in insuring or tracking the scope, then just use standard post and keep fingers crossed.

tracking itself is a joke, even if it's tracked, if it's 'lost' then the couriers usually say they can't help you and email you a claim form..you pay tracking to feel good you know where the package is in most cases.

I priced it based on 3 kgs and be 50 x 10 x 10 and it comes out at £19.00 + vat with DPD. (interparcel.com ) Royal mail and P force are thieves.

If it has a magnification of 4x or more isn't the export of a scope restricted from the UK even in the EU?

Sent via DPD. Thanks for your help.

If it has a magnification of 4x or more isn't the export of a scope restricted from the UK even in the EU?

I think there must be a fair few people sending scopes back to manufacturers for repair. Especially RFDs and I'm sure they are not all filling out export paperwork.

bought and sold a few scopes from Europe
don't use Royal Mail for anything
thieves

TNT, Fedex usually quite good
​book through the budget sites (parcel2go, parcel monkey etc)

Back