Mauser 98 Actions

Kalahari

When I was at the Game Fair this summer I was chatting to the nice people at Westley Richards and they happened to say that they got their Mauser 98 actions (made to the original specifications) from a British firm. I just wondered who it was and does the SD collective know who.

Thanks,

David.

Curiosity could kill the Kalahari cat:D!

made in britain or purchased via british firm? I know Mike from Dolphin here in the UK was looking to import about 1,000 new one's from croatia at around £1K each. as for companies CNC milling new one's I know of a couple in the US and in Germany at close to £2,500 each, but not the UK...suss..

Hmmm interesting to see who the engineer is.

The Medwell & Perrett actions are very well made but of course owning one I would say that wouldn't I :D Mine was a one off according Miss Perrett and no I didn't order it just stumbled across it pre owned as the premium car makers are fond of saying.

Lovely as the M&P action is, its still a clunky action of a by gone era.

The newer actions surpass them in looks, performance and prestige in my opinion - Borden being at the top of the game in my eyes….

Lovely as the M&P action is, its still a clunky action of a by gone era.

The newer actions surpass them in looks, performance and prestige in my opinion - Borden being at the top of the game in my eyes….

Sorry but I have to disagree. It's neither clunky nor out dated. But then again I have no interest in quad locks etc they are darned ugly. And then again a lot of the rifles held up as wonderful and good looking I find downright awful.

I was handling and looking at a new Ruger American in a gun shop the other day and I wouldn't even use it as a boat anchor it was that ruddy horrible. Christ even the Rem 700 looked and felt better so the new Ruger must be really dreadful.

I would not actually know a Borden if I fell over one... Ahhhh just did a search and it's a rem 700 clone now I remember why I have no interest in them as I detest the 700 and the way it's made.

Sorry but I have to disagree. It's neither clunky nor out dated. But then again I have no interest in quad locks etc they are darned ugly. And then again a lot of the rifles held up as wonderful and good looking I find downright awful.

I was handling and looking at a new Ruger American in a gun shop the other day and I wouldn't even use it as a boat anchor it was that ruddy horrible. Christ even the Rem 700 looked and felt better so the new Ruger must be really dreadful.

I would not actually know a Borden if I fell over one... Ahhhh just did a search and it's a rem 700 clone now I remember why I have no interest in them as I detest the 700 and the way it's made.

Great reply Brit.... it gave me some amusement at least. Even Paul of Tarsus changed his mind, some of us try to keep an open mind on many issues. I agree with you in that I wouldn't have a Rem 700 from the factory, but there are many 'clones' that are not the same animal at all. Still, each to his own, good thing that we don't all think alike, the world would be a very boring place.

ATB

​Peter

Thanks for all the info guys. Great knowledge base on here and people really do try to help. I am with Brit on the '98 though. I always think it is telling that J M Browning who designed some really great designs in lever, pump, semi and fully auto firearms to say nothing of his huge catalogue of pistols didn't bother with a bolt action. Almost as if he thought Mauser had done pretty well all that was needed.

David.

With Mr Browning one has to remember that the Americans did not "discover" the bolt action until after WW1 really. It was WW1 that introduced most Americans to the bolt action and before that very few used them and most of those that did probably had military connections or experience. Most of the shooting public over there used level, slide or semi autos prior to WW1.

Of course when America decided to keep the inferior 03 Springfield :stir: and ditch the P-17 (US rifle Model 1917) onto the surplus market this brought more US shooters into contact with the bolt action.

M98, greatest action ever built, will continue to be so for many years I suspect. it was thought through from end to end, and it will take a real genius to improve it significantly. I would be happy shooting mauser actions dating back to the early 1900's till the day I die, no question about it.

Well the US had the Krag Jorgensen which was a bolt action from 1898. Browning lived for another 28 years after this so he did have a bit of time!

David.

Well the US had the Krag Jorgensen which was a bolt action from 1898. Browning lived for another 28 years after this so he did have a bit of time! David.

was the Krag not the single locking lug bolt? as far as I recall it gave a few people eye patches!

FWIW - and in response to the OP, a WR rifle will start around £15K...... I believe the M&P actions start about £3.5K ...... and so take it upwards from there to eventual cost.

Yes the Krag had one locking bolt and yes the US military did adopt it but the American shooting public still did not adopt the Bolt action until after 1919 and even then there where areas where to use one was considered non American. Heck some places were still using Muzzle loaders and didn't hold with the new white powder. Thier local smiths were still making new muzzle loaders and not for the historic folks this was the norm for their area.

I hunt with a remmy semi custom and a mauser semi custom. Both have carbon stocks, aftermarket barrels, Accuracy type magazines and are in 308. The Mauser is set up as a lightweight hunter, the remmy as a slightly heavier tactical type but also only 20" barrel. Mauser shoots 3" at 400m the remmy 3" at 470m, meaning both are accurate.
The remmy is smoother, quieter and seems more refined. The mauser is a tank. I use the remmy for precision long range picking off of deer and the Mauser with it's two stage original trigger for short range rough shooting when we go into cover and gorse after deer.
I love both, even though they are worlds apart. By the way, I would not like either without the work I put into them.

I don't think we are at the end yet with action designs.
These are three actions/rifles I recently got. Two of them for me to play with. he he.
STL3_zps721a3b78.jpg

STL1_zps43abd446.jpg
STL-0023_zps5214057d.jpg

edi

Tis it just me bit do others think/feel that the bolt handles are an after thought?

They put all that work and thought into the receiver then add the bolt handle as an after thought. There is no flow, no proper shape but I notice the all important fad of flutes :banghead: which must make it all OK then.

On the target actions they make sense but on the BSR they don't and I have criticized that. Thankfully the bolt handle is very easy to remove and one can customise that.
The BSR is only the second one made after only 1/2 year design and build time of a one man company. Only after the IWA we started talking about the project and it will be ready by the end of the year.
By the way Kevin......does this bolt handle not have the same shape and position of the first mauser 98???? This one only has 60deg throw and doesn't foul the scope though.
edi

Back