Question to MUIR

enfieldspares

Please remind me of how you use a .277" expander die (as usually used for cast lead alloy bullets) with .270 WCF cases to be used with standard jacketed bullets!

I loaded some like that following a thread you contributed to some time ago and have forgotten what I did. Tried the loaded rounds on Monday and was very impressed with the improvement in group size. Just that I have forgotten the process!

I am guessing standard FL size and re-cap with the standard expander plug and THEN run through the RCBS Expander Die (or Lyman M Die) as if you were then going to load cast lead alloy bullets? But, my expander is RCBS so a taper not a step) do you just set it down so as to take the whole neck out BUT NO BELLING OF THE CASE MOUTH?

I don't shoot a 270 but I use that method with almost all the reloading I do all my size dies have under size expander buttons, I expand the cases with a Lyman M die with cast or jacketed bullets, just don't put the step in if loading
jacketed works great, some say you don't stretch the case neck with this method I do find I trim less often
also the mouth of the case stays square,
Lyman will sell direct to the public if some what slow I bought 2 M dies from them a few months ago took 2 months for them to get around to shipping, none of the usual suppliers had what I needed in stock, all it took was a credit card and some patience, I don't know about your import Regs so would pay to check you are not breaking any rules, Robert.

I believe Muir just uses the expander die to just barely flare the case mouth (and I mean barely). This allows the bullet to seat with the greatest concentricity and if crimped (even lightly), with more consistent neck tension/bullet pull weight.

​Muir's out killing stuff right now, but I'm sure he'll respond shortly...

Last edited:
I believe Muir just uses the expander die to just barely flare the case mouth (and I mean barely). This allows the bullet to seat with the greatest concentricity and if crimped (even lightly), with more consistent neck tension/bullet pull weight.

​Muir's out killing stuff right now, but I'm sure he'll respond shortly...

Marines reply is spot on, he started doing it a few years back on commercial jacketed bullets as an experiment and experienced improved accuracy and has used it ever since. He does need all the help he can get :D

He has at least one buck to his name on his latest trip.

John

Please remind me of how you use a .277" expander die (as usually used for cast lead alloy bullets) with .270 WCF cases to be used with standard jacketed bullets!

I loaded some like that following a thread you contributed to some time ago and have forgotten what I did. Tried the loaded rounds on Monday and was very impressed with the improvement in group size. Just that I have forgotten the process!

I am guessing standard FL size and re-cap with the standard expander plug and THEN run through the RCBS Expander Die (or Lyman M Die) as if you were then going to load cast lead alloy bullets? But, my expander is RCBS so a taper not a step) do you just set it down so as to take the whole neck out BUT NO BELLING OF THE CASE MOUTH?

I've just phoned Muir and told him of this thread, He said he will answer it later today, Saturday.

I've just phoned Muir and told him of this thread, He said he will answer it later today, Saturday.

You phoned the wrong Muir unless you have a hella-long distance company that had connections with a carrier pigeon service. Iron Shell Flats ain't got no service!

The Marine and JAYB are correct. They have watched me do it many times.~Muir

Your curious, I'm amazed that he got a positive reply :eek:

John

I’m amazed he called someone called Muir, who knew what it was all about, who knew about the process/tools, and also, who said they’d post a reply on the SD shortly, which the ‘real’ Muir then went on to do!..but, what is curious, is the ‘wrong’ Muir, of course never ‘did’ post a reply on the SD.....

Your curious, I'm amazed that he got a positive reply :eek:

John

Frank Muir

well know reloader, back from the dead to impart advice

_44182_muir300.jpg

Back