Age of deer.

Hi, im fairly new to stalking and wondering if there is any easy ways to tell how old deer are???
I will mainly be stalking Muntjac, Chinese water, Fallow, and Red.
Any help will be appreciated thanks

Last edited:
Almost impossible to tell accurately by antlers alone mate. However, looking at your location and the photo you've posted, I'd say he is about 3.5 years old!
MS

Lots of threads on here about it. Some like to think they are more accurate with a certain methods. It is generally agreed upon that if you stalk and cull regularly in one area you will be able to judge the speed of tooth wear and get an indication of age from that. If you collect a jaw bone from each animal you can build up a picture by putting them in order and comparing it with the age you guessed at the time. You can age young deer from the crowns on the premolar which like milk teeth are replaced at around the 13 month mark. You can also judge from apearance - young, in their prime and old. A lot is educated guestimation but if you know your area and the deer it helps.

Hi, im fairly new to stalking and wondering if there is any easy ways to tell how old deer are???
I will mainly be stalking Muntjac, Chinese water, Fallow, and Red.
Any help will be appreciated thanks

Shaped of the head/length can give a good indication, and also in roebucks the colour to the face will determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th heads - If I get the chance I'll scan the page in my book and post it up.

Back