Unsure...

Tabs

Morning,
i grassed a muntjac Doe last night along with her very young follower.

gralloch showed a small swelling of mess enteric node, but nothing alarming.
As doe was neck shot, heart and lungs were in tact, a rare shot for me to take. Hence unsure re the heart.

Can anyone identify the two objects (?) one either side of the top of the heart.
have included image of slight discolouration / spotting of the lungs.

Heart was slightly larger than expected, but density texture fine. Lungs also of normal texture.

in addition, never seen mammaries as large nod dense, but never taken a doe with as young a follower before.

Thanks

​Tabs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 200
Doesn't look like anything untoward to me. Did you check the mediastinal? If there was anything wrong in the chest you might have seen it there. What did the lymph nodes on the head look like?

Thanks TackleB'.
All looked fine, she was alert apparently healthy and in v good condition.
Concerned because I can't identify what appear be growths coming from the top of each heart chamber and any issues that may be related.
any vets on here that can help identify the body part?

​tabs

The lungs look like the early stages of pneumonia which is referred to as red hepatisation in meat inspection lingo,
Brian

If you are referring to the red flappy things between your finger and thumb, they are part of the atria - the top chambers of the heart and are normal.

The blood in the lungs looks perfectly normal for a shot animal, Is it the bullet impact pressure wave that has burst blood vessels in the lungs causing the patching/bruising.

The blood in the lungs looks perfectly normal for a shot animal, Is it the bullet impact pressure wave that has burst blood vessels in the lungs causing the patching/bruising.

Hydrostatic shock? The op says the deer was neck shot so would not apply here I don't think.

Hydro static shock can happen anywhere in a body as the is fluid in all tissue.

So a bullet placed at the top of the neck/spine can cause hydrostatic shock in the lungs? I have always associated it with more violent trauma than some discoloration but I guess there are varying degrees. I am only a deer stalker so have to go with my own experience.

I think this is more likely to be either traces of lungworm or possibly blood-splashing - a small haemorrhage probably due to stress. If she wasn't killed outright by the shot, there's your stress.

Thanks for your replies Gents. Very helpful and informative as always.

Buchan, she dropped on her shadow, no stress. There were no signs of lungworm. And as stated she was in v good condition with a healthy weight.

Pneumonia? Wouldnt such an infection show obvioulsly on the nodes?

Good shot then.

One of the principle causes of blood-splashing in abattoirs, is a delay between stunning and bleeding and with a deer at distance, there can't be anything but a delay. If a shot doesn't cause an instant drop in blood pressure, even if it renders the animal unconscious, there would still be enough of a "stress" to create this sort of finding. I'm using stress in a broad term to save typing a long explanation. Google blood splashing.

I should add I am not casting any criticism on the shot!

The nodes maybe affected, but not enlarged.

I can't see anything out of the ordinary there. Certainly no sign of lung worm as that would leave brown discolouration around the edges of the lungs. You're worrying about nothing mate.
Baguio

Atrial appendages. You have them. On the right it's where the cardiologists tuck one of the leads of a bipolar pacemaker. On the left it's where blood clots lurk then break of and induce strokes.

Back