Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else got a Browning maral?

Anybody else got a Browning maral?

Has anybody experience of one of these.
    I have just had a local gun shop ask me to take one on my next pig trip.
    Its in .300 win mag.
    I have seen it and worked it in the shop but waiting for my paperwork to come before I pick it up.
    Looks the dogs danglies I must say.

I really like this system.
    Larger mags are available in coming months as the last ones had issues.
    Its had a picatinny rail fitted so will take my 1.5-6x42 varipoint my red dot or anything else.
    Also has battue opens as standard and grade 3 wood as well as a travel case, which when the stock is removed the rifle fits in there snug.
    Well thought out i'd say, we'll see soon.

I've had a couple of shots with one in .30-'06. I quite liked it and probably a good option if you do a lot of pig shooting.

I tried one, the trigger was absolute gash but the concept was OK.

Personally I would prefer a Blaser, Merkel or Strasser buy hey if its for free who am I to complain.

Interesting rifle. Didn't Browning have a similiar rifle a few years back,only it was just a straight pull. If I remember right it was called the Acera, but I could be wrong. This rifle looks to have a lot of basic components of the BAR, but would get around any legal restrictions on semi-autos. Very cool

You will need to keep us updated John, I was also looking at them but cant make my mind up between the Blaser, Strasser and the Maral. I still have my X-Bolt in 300 win mag and like it fine for the larger stuff, but feel a 1 4 1 coming on soon.

I have just bought a Maral in 30-06, the wood is stunning.
    The standard rifle comes with grade 3 wood but I am sure mine is probably a bit better than that.
    There seems to be a shortage of 'scope mounting options as both pre-drilled holes are the same width apart and the action housing profile is different from most 'ordinary' rifles so no commonly available, like Warne or Leupold, mounts will fit.
    I have stripped mine down and the front housing, enclosing the action, is certainly very similar to the Browning BAR, probably introduced to be marketed in countries where semi-autos are forbidden.
    As JR said, it comes with a nice ABS lockable case with apartments for not only the rifle but also an apartment for a 'scope and various other little bits and pieces.
    There is also two flush sling swivels with allen key , a spare rear sight, a Browning trigger lock and a spare stock spacer should you have long arms and require a longer stock.
    The fore sight is highly visible so it could quite easily be used as an open sighted rifle, which is what I would think was it's main intended purpose by the manufacturers.
    I am still investigating 'scope mounting options at the moment so have not used it on Deer.
    I can see it's self closing action may be a problem when stalking Does where more than one animal may need to be taken, as the closing noise may be heard above the sound of the moderator.
    I am reliably told that the new ones coming into the country now are already threaded with a 14 x 1 thread and thread protector,for a forward mounting moderator.
    I am certainly looking forward to using it occassionally on Deer during the year but my main reason for buying it was for driven Boar during the November to January season.
    I hope I have something good to report later.
    Last edited by EMcC; 17-03-2015 at 13:50.

OMG is that ugly!!! How do you say "browning with a japanese accept?

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    OMG is that ugly!!! How do you say "browning with a japanese accept?SS
    Beauty is in the eye of ther beholder my friend, the same way as I would never dream of telling you what I thought of your wife/girlfriend as it would probably be entirely different to your idea
    Incidentally, the components for this are made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal so I don't think the Japanese accent comes into it at all - this time

I've played with one...

For someone who lives in a country that bans semi-automatic weapons, does a lot of battue hunting and who does not like the lever action platform, I suppose it's okay...

However, two things are readily apparent whenever I play with any of these new straight pull "bolt actions"...

First, I can work a traditional bolt action extremely fast. Fast enough that it would not be a factor in how many boars I would cull in a driven hunt nor would it effect my ability to get a second shot off on a solitary game animal.

Second, If I wanted ultimate speed without resorting to a semi-auto I would look at lever actions. If I wanted to use pointed bullets I would look at the BLR.

The Maral, IMO does nothing that the BLR already does and does other things less well.

I love bolt actions, but I also love lever actions for the bush. Either platform can be fast with practice.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Incidentally, the components for this are made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal so I don't think the Japanese accent comes into it at all - this time
    Gents and all, I must apologise profusely, what is stated on the side of the barrel is 'Made for FN Belgium' not made in as I first thought, so you are probably correct in saying that the components were made in Japan as are most other Browning components.
    Regardless, I still like my new rifle.