Any spare 308 rounds chaps??? Hampshire

243Sako

Hello chaps

a bit cheeky but does anyone have any spare 308 rounds/ home loads lying around from trying different makes that I may be able to have? Trying to see what my rifle likes. Just 3 or 4 of different wights/powders/manufacturers?? Anything gratefully received and of course collected in person

thanks in advance

Rob
243Sako

Hello chaps

a bit cheeky but does anyone have any spare 308 rounds/ home loads lying around from trying different makes that I may be able to have? Trying to see what my rifle likes. Just 3 or 4 of different wights/powders/manufacturers?? Anything gratefully received and of course collected in person

thanks in advance

Rob
243Sako
not quite what you are asking Rob, but my Howa 1500 will perform well with 150grn sierra prohunters and N140 or TR140 powder, the holes will touch at 100m as long as I do my bit, about £30 for 100 and 1Kg of either powder will give you around 150-160 loads

Rob if I understand you right you are proposing to shoot other shooters reloads in your rifle? This is something you could live to regret or then again you may not live to regret it as this could be potentially quite dangerous. Personally I won't shoot any body else's reloads in my rifles even if I know and trust them.

I think it would be much safer for you to develop and work up your own loads starting with data from a recognised published source such as that provided by the powder manufacturers. Just my opinion but I do urge caution.

One wonder just how those willing to donate will do so. Just pop them in the Post?

Then I suppose your going to post you FAC to them to have them entered into the ammunition table.

methinks there has been NO thought to this at all! :rolleyes:

One wonder just how those willing to donate will do so. Just pop them in the Post?

Then I suppose your going to post you FAC to them to have them entered into the ammunition table.

methinks there has been NO thought to this at all! :rolleyes:

I won't comment on the obviousness of the inherent danger to rifle and shooter by this request, but if you bother to read what he wrote you will see that he says he will collect in person. I don't see that being a problem, do you?

ATB

I won't comment on the obviousness of the inherent danger to rifle and shooter by this request, but if you bother to read what he wrote you will see that he says he will collect in person. I don't see that being a problem, do you?

ATB

Collection in person should not be a problem legally. One is assuming now that there is space left on the FAC to make the entries. We know just how little space is given for that now don't we!

I still don't think that much thought has gone into this request though. The price of fuel will quickly negate savings on buying ammunition. As for using others hand loads we won't go there :rolleyes:.

Now a radical thought here there are ranges, commercial ones who sell just the rounds used in testing and this fact was even mentioned in a post very recently................................... but hey why spoil the fun!

All this should be moot really, since firing any hand load not worked up in a OP rifle is nothing more than Russian roulette:scared:

ATB

Now a radical thought here there are ranges, commercial ones who sell just the rounds used in testing and this fact was even mentioned in a post very recently................................... but hey why spoil the fun!

i think I missed that thread, is it possible to put a link to it on here as I'd be interested to find out about that (tried the search button and can't find it)?

Not a stupid idea, given a) the cost of ammo and b) how fussy some rifles can be. I would nt shoot somebody else's handloads, but as for factory loaded cannot see any issue. You don't need to shoot a box full of ammo to know that your rifle doesn't like it

Now for some enterprising RFD here lies an opportunity. Split a few boxes of ammo into trial packs (say five rounds of each brand in a certain bullet weight) and sell these with any rifle they sell.

or for that matter ask your local RFD. Whenever they take in a rifle they will often take in partial boxes of ammo.

i think I missed that thread, is it possible to put a link to it on here as I'd be interested to find out about that (tried the search button and can't find it)?

I have been looking but cannot locate it. It was probably an answer in a thread which makes it hard to find. Perhaps we should ask the question where is this available?

Have not been over the club in the last week what with Mother being ill but hopefully wil get over there later in the week and I will ask if he could do this after all the outdoor range is now open and the club has a shop that sell ammunition.

Ken, thank you the rifle is infact a howa 1500 varmint. So I will try your recommendation

I take on board others point re other persons hand loads. Although I would hope everyone would stay within the maximum loads however I understand that if not loaded by yourself this cannot be guaranteed. I was actually hoping that factory rounds would be offered.

Now Brithunter.... It is very apparent that you jumped from your computer chair to your high horse before even reading my op in its entirety as I did state collection in person. I am insulted that you insinuate that I would break the conditions of my firearms cert by failing to record ammunition correctly. If you knew my line of work you would not have suggested this. To be perfectly honest if you just want to bitch about others intentions with no knowledge then you can but out and sheath you keyboard.

In relation to your reference to the price of fuel obviously I wouldn't drive hundreds of miles to acquire a few rounds however I was actually quite keen to meet other members of the forum in person.

There I was thinking 'What's the harm in asking'. How wrong I was. Thanks to others for their input.

Rant over:coat:

Ken, thank you the rifle is infact a howa 1500 varmint. So I will try your recommendation

I take on board others point re other persons hand loads. Although I would hope everyone would stay within the maximum loads however I understand that if not loaded by yourself this cannot be guaranteed. I was actually hoping that factory rounds would be offered.

Now Brithunter.... It is very apparent that you jumped from your computer chair to your high horse before even reading my op in its entirety as I did state collection in person. I am insulted that you insinuate that I would break the conditions of my firearms cert by failing to record ammunition correctly. If you knew my line of work you would not have suggested this. To be perfectly honest if you just want to bitch about others intentions with no knowledge then you can but out and sheath you keyboard.

In relation to your reference to the price of fuel obviously I wouldn't drive hundreds of miles to acquire a few rounds however I was actually quite keen to meet other members of the forum in person.

There I was thinking 'What's the harm in asking'. How wrong I was. Thanks to others for their input.

Rob I checked out the model and maker of your rifle from one of your previous posts :smug: for the record, 44-46 grns of N140 or TR140 work for me in my rifle, and have taken a couple of deer too :p :D

Rant away old chap.

It struck me that knowing the small amount of space usually given on the FAC for ammunition entries that this would fill it up very quickly indeed adding a few rounds here and a few rounds there. Also knowing how long some Licensing Offices can take to process the simplest of tasks some may yes be inclined to skip adding them.

There is no harm in reminding everyone that it's required. Or perhaps there is :doh:.

Back