Boar and deer in same woods ?

Rutland lad

Chaps - can someebody give me some advice.

I shoot in a woood where sometime ago boar and fallow deer were in there together.
The FC used to own it and in the '90's shot all the boar.
There are boar being sighted nearby and seem to be making their way back towards these woods. The question is this - if the boar reintroduce themselves, will the deer suffer ?
We'd not like to have the boar back in and lose the deer. Obviously the best result is that the two species could cohabit peacefully, in which case we'd love to help them back in !

Can anyone advise me please !

Hi RL
From personal experience there seems to be little or no conflict between boar and deer. I have fallow, roe and muntjac on my patch which co-exist with the boar. I have quite often seen fallow and boar in the same fields.
ATB
T

Hi RL
From personal experience there seems to be little or no conflict between boar and deer. I have fallow, roe and muntjac on my patch which co-exist with the boar. I have quite often seen fallow and boar in the same fields.
ATB
T

I am surprised about that. I would have thought a new born calf/fawn would have made a very tidy meal for a wild boar.

I am surprised about that. I would have thought a new born calf/fawn would have made a very tidy meal for a wild boar.

I have seen boar eating road kill deer. As for taking new born fawns / kids I don't doubt that it is a possibility but can't imagine it is a very regular (if ever?) occurrence. I would suggest that at least 90%+ of their food intake is plant matter.

ATB

T

Boar, (the larger ones) will eat fawns and calfs, once the deer can move faster they will keep out of the way of boar, but will Co exists in the same area.

Wild boar will in fact eat, animal, vegetable and mineral if needs must. I have even seen them eating their own wounded and dead, in fact we used a variety of animal carcasses to bring them in so we could shoot them when in Auz, admittedly this was in the Northern Territories where other foods were harder to acquire.

Having hunted terrain where wild boar, deer, and bear have coexisted for 125 years, i can say that the boar, being more prolific breeders, will tend to crowd out the other two, but they are still there. This is a mountainous area, where the deer and bear can navigate off trail a bit better. I also believe the bears make a meal of some of the smaller pigs. These swine are Bavarian stock, brought to a fenced, 17,000 preserve, from whence they escaped in the 1890s.

Having hunted, 40 years ago, a huge swampy area with dry ground except during flooding, with streams and rivers coursing through it, and no swine, I can now compare it to the present, where our government will not allow hunting of these German stock swine which moved in and have bred with some escaped domestics. The destruction of habitat is terrible, and there is quite a lack of food for the deer. In the surrounding farms and forests, deer are plentiful, and hunters take the pigs which wander outside the protective boundaries of their government park.

The boar will eat the baby deer but only in the first few days of baby deer life. The boar will be more distructitve for the wild population of pheasants and partridges.

The boar will eat the baby deer but only in the first few days of baby deer life. The boar will be more distructitve for the wild population of pheasants and partridges.

Now, too, there is less cover, more foxes, bobcats, and coyotes, and fewer boys with .22s keeping them thinned out.

Wild pigs do kill and eat snakes, which would eat birds, but their only natural enemies in the South ( USA ) are the alligators which can live below the hard freeze line.

Back