Sako 75 Extractor

TotalNovice

I have a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 and it won't extract every case, some come out fine and eject while others just get left in the chamber when the bolt lifted and pulled back.

This is with factory ammo.

Any idea as to the cause? Worn extractor claw maybe?

Regards
TN

Mine is the same when I'm being a bit gentle with it at the range not wanting to ping brass 3' to my right!

I'm not particularly worried, but someone else might come back with a sensible answer as to what our issue is...

visually inspect the extractor claw for crap underneath it, check the edge doesn't look too worn, check the extractor spring is still good. check no crap between extractor and side of bolt it sits on. monitor to see which headstamps do it, as it may just be that particular brass.

it may be failing at the primary extraction stage which will have no bearing on speed of retracting bolt backwards.

visually inspect the extractor claw for crap underneath it, check the edge doesn't look too worn, check the extractor spring is still good. check no crap between extractor and side of bolt it sits on. monitor to see which headstamps do it, as it may just be that particular brass.

it may be failing at the primary extraction stage which will have no bearing on speed of retracting bolt backwards.

I have inspected it for crud/crap and it looks to be ok. Have no idea regarding the edge being worn, it looks ok but I expect that doesn't mean it isn't worn!

I have a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 and it won't extract every case, some come out fine and eject while others just get left in the chamber when the bolt lifted and pulled back.

This is with factory ammo.
Any idea as to the cause? Worn extractor claw maybe?
Regards
TN

Two thoughts .......

1. What's the mileage on the rifle ....... do you know?

2. Which make of commercial ammunition is causing the problem?

There is a minor difference in the boltface & magazine for the 6.5x55 on Tikka's from the same stable, as the round has a slightly larger rim & base (head) than the .308 & .30-06-based cartridges. I've noticed that USA cases (i.e. the 100 Winchester I bought when starting out) had the smaller dimensions, and bulged very slightly at the web when fired. The Lapua I bought later were the right size, and didn't exhibit this.

Tikka's never fail to eject, so I have no experience of this. You could try a different brand in your '75 maybe first?

Two thoughts .......

1. What's the mileage on the rifle ....... do you know?

2. Which make of commercial ammunition is causing the problem?

There is a minor difference in the boltface & magazine for the 6.5x55 on Tikka's from the same stable, as the round has a slightly larger rim & base (head) than the .308 & .30-06-based cartridges. I've noticed that USA cases (i.e. the 100 Winchester I bought when starting out) had the smaller dimensions, and bulged very slightly at the web when fired. The Lapua I bought later were the right size, and didn't exhibit this.

Tikka's never fail to eject, so I have no experience of this. You could try a different brand in your '75 maybe first?

Hi, mileage on the rifle? Not sure to be honest.
The ammunition is Privi, just used to test fire the rifle when I got it home.

I have tried some of the cases that wouldn't extract and placed them in the removed bolt ensuring that they 'clip' into the extractor claw, then chambered the empty case and hey presto it will then extract and eject nicely.

So am I correct in assuming that it is indeed the extractor claw?

Regards
TN

Well the tests you did have nothing to do with concluding it's the extractor claw, the extractor assembly would always be your prime suspect.

The primary extraction of an obturated case is the most demanding part of extraction. It is not surprising the fired cases now extract as they're not now obturated inside the chamber.

Sounds like you've bought the gun with the problem. Whatever, it is unlikely to be part of a bigger problem with the gun. Take the extractor claw/spring assembly out of the bolt and clean/inspect it all.

My sako started doing this, very annoying.

The culprit is the ejector at the back of the magazine well; http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/ejector-parts/ejectors/ejector-sako-75-and-85-prod31302.aspx

There is a spring running into blind holes which pushes it up and behind the case head when the bolt is drawn back.

These holes, the spring and the pin that holds the whole assembly in get gummed up with cleaningfluid/muck/dust etc and the ejector doesn't pop up fast enough to ping the case out when the action is worked gently.

I put the action in my ultrasonic cleaner ( angle it and rotate it until the part is under the fluid line) filled with white spirit and re-oil carefully but very lightly.

You can also give it through spray out with brake cleaner, blow it out with an air line if possible and re-oil it.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thank for the replies and advice fella's, it is appreciated.

Tonight I have tried cycling some Norma brass, this wasn't fired in this rifle, it was fired in my previous 6.5x55, so I was expecting some to stick and not extract.
Some had a little tension on closing the bolt, nothing extreme though, I didn't have to force the bolt to close.

Every single one extracted and ejected flawlessly....twice!

Last edited:
Back