Thread: Heym SR30

Heym SR30

Anyone got a Heym SR30 ?
    I picked one up a couple of years ago and have yearned for one ever since.
    Just one question though, how does the safety work ? From reading reviews they appear to say you have to let the safety off then push the bolt forward before firing. Makes taking quick shots a bit long winded or have I got it wrong ? I didn't pay attention when I picked one up and really wish I had. I'm thinking of swapping my Sauer for one but want an owners opinion first. The reason I want to swap my Sauer is I don't like the quirky safety. I always find myself looking down around the side of the gun before letting it off. I don't want swap one odd safety for another. I'm lefthanded which limits my choice further. I did try a Blaser but they are truly horrible noisy plasticy things. The Heym is the only thing that comes close to Sauer for quality in my price range.
    Advice please thanks Steve

SW Birmingham (Rubery Rednal)
    I have an SR30, L/H in .308 with a "Classic" stock (Straight comb, raked grip, rounded fore-end tip, rosewood grip and tip).

It's a pleasure to shoot, though the bolt throw is quite long owing to the action being standardised to fit a range of cartridges of which the .308 is one of the shortest.

The action really works in two modes: slow-and-steady, and fast-and-furious.

When stalking normally, or sitting in a high seat, you can chamber a round without cocking the striker.To do this you have to flip the horizontally-pivoting safety lever to red, and work the bolt (assuming of course that there are already rounds in the magazine), closing it only as far as the first position (where the bolt handle is perpendicular to the action. Don't worry, it stops there quite naturally. Now you can choose to flip the safety to white to lock the bolt, or to leave it on red (even on red the rifle can't fire, but the bolt can open, though it needs a bit of a tug to do this).

When you see your target, flip the safety to red (if it's not there already), push the trigger forward to set it (if you like it that way), and push the bolt handle forwards all the way to arm the striker (it will end up at about 60% to the line of the receiver). Fire when ready. Barring marksmanship errors, that should take care of your target as the rifle (my rifle at least) is accurate.

However, if it all goes pear-shaped and you need a quick follow-up shot, or if you're in a Drückjagd/battue/montería type situation (this is the fast-and-furious bit) just work the bolt and shoot. Your own urgency and adrenaline will make sure that you close the bolt with enough energy to over-ride the first stop and push it all the way home to the second. To be honest, with a bit of practice you completely forget you're even doing it, and the impression is of shooting a semi-auto. I know that sounds improbable (I really do), but more often than not, even after a single follow up shot, I find I've chambered a third round automatically, without being consciously aware of having done so. This means, of course, that you have to check the chamber religiously after the "engagement" ends, but who doesn't "make safe" before moving on?

Anyway, that's pretty much how it goes. The SR30 isn't as light, compact, or even quite as fast as a Blaser, but it has a more classic look, and it feels as though it was made by an old-school Buchsenmeister rather than an industrial concern (however modern and efficient - though perhaps that's the problem). Actually, I do like Blasers, but I get more pleasure from my Heym.

Having said that, I fear Heym are not finishing their SR21s and SR30s consistently to the standard they were when I bought mine 18 years ago, and I don't find their principal stock pattern a particularly good fit. So the advice, as always, is try before buying. I'd recommend giving Steve Beatty a call at Ivythorn, as he has a fair selection of Heyms, a range to try them on, and lots of satisfied customers.

Last edited by Mr. Gain; 29-11-2013 at 09:02.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay