Hornaday Data Request

neutron619

Hi guys,

Does anyone have / is anyone willing to provide some data from the Hornady manual for me?

I'd like to know what it recommends as good powder for a Hornady 110gr SP / RNSP in .308 Win. Bullets are very hard to get round here at the moment and I've been offered the chance at some of these so I'm thinking about whether I can do anything with them to decide yay / nay.

I've got data for general 110gr loads from Hodgdon / Alliant etc. but I'd like to know what the manufacturer recommends as fastest / most accurate (if available).

I'm imagining this as a muntjac load - it doesn't need to be super-fast - c. 3000fps would probably do, but as always, it's a case of matching up what I can get as best I can. Alliant powders preferred - the local RFD has a few tubs lying around.

With thanks for any assistance anyone can give,

Adam.

Last edited:

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I appreciate it, but I have those links. I'm looking specifically for what Hornady publish to see how it compares to the Nosler / Alliant / Hodgdon data. Yes, probably the same, but I'm trying to choose a bullet based on available powders, rather than a powder for the bullet - needs must, unfortunately.

Go see mr beer he will sort you some heads out !

(I said heads on purpose by the way)

Lol @ heads, and aye, 'tis from him that I've had 100 Interlock 150's on order for the last 3-4 weeks or something like that. I have been told this side of Christmas for those, with another order going in on Tuesday, so I'm going to put a request in for something else on that one. Thought about something lighter for the Munties and now wondering about putting RL7 behind them, but was hoping to find out what Hornady publish themselves.

If you want to use RL7 giving you 3000fps Starting load is 39.5grn, Max 41.6 which then will be touching 3100fps. The B.C for the SP is 0.256 with C.O.L @ 2.690", RN is 0.150 C.O.L 2.515" If you haven't tried it i would work a batch of 5 rnds at 0.5 grn increments and fire them over a chrono so you can see the speed and what's happening down range regards to accuracy. As you say it's not all about speed i'm looking for accuracy when reloading. Info from the 7th edition Hornady manual hope this helps you out.

Jim

Whereabouts are you ? I've a couple of the hornady books if you wanted to borrow one

You have a PM.

If you want to use RL7 giving you 3000fps Starting load is 39.5grn, Max 41.6 which then will be touching 3100fps. The B.C for the SP is 0.256 with C.O.L @ 2.690", RN is 0.150 C.O.L 2.515" If you haven't tried it i would work a batch of 5 rnds at 0.5 grn increments and fire them over a chrono so you can see the speed and what's happening down range regards to accuracy. As you say it's not all about speed i'm looking for accuracy when reloading. Info from the 7th edition Hornady manual hope this helps you out.

Jim

Jim,

Thank you very much for this. Pretty sure the local RFD, Mr Beer, has some RL7 on the shelf so this looks like it might be a workable combination. I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out. Interestingly, that example isn't too far off the energy / velocity of a .243 with 100gr bullets (though I daresay it'll look different at 200 yards!), which I've used to drop Muntjac in the past perfectly well, so I may indeed be onto a winner there.

Thanks for taking the time to post the info - much appreciated.

Adam.

image.jpg

That's all I can find on 110 grain bullets from Hornaday 8th edition
hope it helps

Hi guys,

Does anyone have / is anyone willing to provide some data from the Hornady manual for me?

I'd like to know what it recommends as good powder for a Hornady 110gr SP / RNSP in .308 Win. Bullets are very hard to get round here at the moment and I've been offered the chance at some of these so I'm thinking about whether I can do anything with them to decide yay / nay.

I've got data for general 110gr loads from Hodgdon / Alliant etc. but I'd like to know what the manufacturer recommends as fastest / most accurate (if available).

I'm imagining this as a muntjac load - it doesn't need to be super-fast - c. 3000fps would probably do, but as always, it's a case of matching up what I can get as best I can. Alliant powders preferred - the local RFD has a few tubs lying around.

With thanks for any assistance anyone can give,

Adam.

Your reliance on bullet makers for accurate speed and pressure data is a little misplaced. IT may well be accurate enough but the powder makers generally have the most sophisticated testing equipment and are constantly testing and retesting powders and updating the data on their sites... unlike bullet makers who publish their data in a book and leave it as such. I'm sure Hornady does a fine job but when I want to know how a powder will perform, I go to the people whose reputation and livelihood hangs on the data provided. ~Muir

Your reliance on bullet makers for accurate speed and pressure data is a little misplaced. IT may well be accurate enough but the powder makers generally have the most sophisticated testing equipment and are constantly testing and retesting powders and updating the data on their sites... unlike bullet makers who publish their data in a book and leave it as such. I'm sure Hornady does a fine job but when I want to know how a powder will perform, I go to the people whose reputation and livelihood hangs on the data provided. ~Muir

I completely agree with your point of view. Ideally, I'd have been able to obtain data for (for example) RL7 for a 110gr jacketed SP, but Alliant don't publish values for anything in .308 except a 100gr bullet. All of the Hodgdon data is for a 110gr Barnes TTSX, so the value for the minimum OAL for a less dense copper bullet is probably not going to be appropriate to a shorter lead-cored bullet. Looking for what Hornady publishes helps me fill in the gaps and feel more comfortable working at the edges of orthodoxy.

Further up the thread you'll see that I'm in the unfortunate situation of having choose which bullets to order without really knowing what powders will be available to me when they arrive. For that reason, part of my motivation for wanting to know what was in the Hornady manual was to see if they listed any powders that weren't included in the data on the Hodgdon site. If they did, it would broaden my choice and make it easier to find something which would work.

In fact, it turns out that there are some powders listed in one place but not the other. Thanks to Wingy's photo, I've now got proper data for RL7, which I know my local shop has at the moment. Two others, RL12 and A2025 are listed in the Hornady data too - all useful. I've also got good comparison data for H322, H335, etc. between the Barnes 110gr listed on Hodgdon's site and the 110gr SP in the Hornady book.

I know I'm not going to get exactly the figures listed on either of those sources in my own specific rifle, but even if the Hornady people don't have to bet their careers on their data, it allows me to make better judgements on what's going to be safe and what isn't. Most obviously that (it appears that) one can drive the Barnes bullets faster and hotter than the jacketed ones with the same powder. I don't know if that's how it'll work out in practice, but from the data, it seems logical: maybe staying away from the (generally) Hodgdon maximums and using the Hornady limits instead is a sensible call for someone new to reloading like me.

In an ideal world, I'd just pick a powder from the Hodgdon site, go in and say "I want a pot of XYZ" and they'd hand it over, but that just isn't how it's working out at the moment, so I have to improvize. Hopefully when the bullets arrive I'll be able to look at all these lists and pick the best powder to buy.

You know all that of course - your reputation precedes you.

Back