Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fits or something worse ?

Fits or something worse ?

Since Bonfire night, which extended over a period of ten days, during which time we had loud bangs and whizzers every evening up until midnight, my dog has had what I can only call are fits.
    She is a seven year old springer cross labrador and a house pet, she is also very noise sensitive, by that I mean when the adverts come on TV and are louder than the normal programme, she will go upstairs and lay in her bed on the landing.
    However this evening she was stretched out on her bed when suddenly she started to whine very loudly as if in pain and when I looked at her she was stretched straight out rigid with her tongue out and whilst whining appeared to be gasping for air.
    I put my arms around her and rubbed her and spoke to her to try and assure her that all was OK but she took a minute or two to get back to normal and then she just laid in her bed wagging her tail.
    I have been away for a few weeks recently and my wife tells me that she has acted like this on more than one accassion since bonfire night and she put it down to stress from the noise of fireworks.
    Apart from me being away for those few days her life style has not altered, her food and exercise has been the same as every other day.
    Has anybody else come across these symptons with their dog and what was the cure.
    I am worried that it may be something serious that if not treated may lead to her demise.

Does want checking out. Could be a fit, could be heart, could be something else.

Did she urinate or defecate?

Exercise tolerance normal?

Eating & drinking normally?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Agreed, hope she's OK

Just to be on the safe side I have booked a Vet's appointment at 10.30 tomorrow.
    I have checked her over, no lumps, bone structure feels fine, no visible growths, heart beat is regular and apart from her recent behaviour she looks and seems fine.
    Eating and drinking fine, no abnormal defacation or urination, so I reckon the only way the vet can do a check for anything else is a blood test -kerching !!

Sometimes these things can be infuriating as they only happen sporadically.

Filming the attack on your phone can be incredibly helpful.

Taking a lot of care (as friendly dogs that fit are unaware of people they know and can behave aggressively to people they know) if it happens again try to note:

• If you lift the lip what is the colour like (nice and pink or white as a sheet or even blue)
    • Place your hand on the chest and feel the rough rate and regularity of the heart beat
    • Note whether the extremities are tense or relaxed
    • What are the eyes doing

I would want bloods in a dog that was fitting, especially given the age.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Just back from the Vetinary £44.18 lighter in the pocket but a lot more reassured about my dog.
    My dog was given a good going over and came out with a clean bill of health other than teethe need a scrape and polish and a possible extaction in the near future.
    Her heart was checked by stethascope being placed in three different positions and was told she had a good strong heart beat and something else but I didn't catch what the other word was, when asked I was told it just meant she is very healthy.
    The Vet didn't seem very worried about the fits and suggested that it may be that she is a very highly strung dog and unless she shows any aggression just before or after, not to worry unless it gets worse and in that case to bring her back for further checks !!
    The only thing I worry about slightly, is that when she has had her fits we were there and able to 'cuddle' her and reassure her which may have been what brought her out of the fit, what would be the result if we were not there.
    We very rarely leave her alone but next week we are going away for a weeks holiday and she will have to stay in the room while we go for our meals !
    I will keep my fingers crossed that nothing on the TV gets her too excited and brings on a fit.

Eddi my last GWP suffered from epileptic fits occasionally. It was something that came on when he was about two or three years old. At first I thought that it may have been due to organophosphate poisoning after reading something on the web but apparently it is something that this breed is prone to. I was also warned by the vet about aggression in dogs when it happens but in the case of my dog he would be quite the opposite and seek you out for reassurance when he felt a fit coming on.

He lived until he was 14 years old and only suffered attacks about twice a year on average though he did suffer a few attacks in his final days. The epilepsy certainly didnít slow him down at all and was just something we lived with. In his case medication wasnít necessary, though immediately after an attack you had to rush him to the garden where he would s**t for England.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Hi Mike,
    It did seem a bit frightening to start with but either the Vet I saw was not very good, although she looked pretty good to me or I am worrying unduly.
    She hasn't shown any signs of aggression or poo-ing or wee-ing so perhaps it's in it's early stages, I'll just have to keep an eye on her and hope for the best.
    I'd certainly like to keep this one for 14 years, that should see me out !!

There aren't enough boar left in Europe to see you out Eddi.

Yes it is a bit upsetting to say the least at first, but I am sure that it will be something that the dog and you will be able to live with. I'm pretty sure that vets encounter this in dogs fairly regularly.
    Old Kaiser would recover fairly quickly after a fit and after a couple of hours it was all forgotten about. The fits would normally come on when he was in the house and I can only remember one occasion of a fit when he was out on a walk. Carrying a large GWP half a mile home is no fun I can tell you.

Here's hoping that it is only a temporary thing with your dog and that she will soon get over it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks Mike for your kind words of reassurance and the other Mike for you advice on what to watch out for.
    I feel a lot more confidant now.