Controlled round feed

john444334

I have been looking to purchase a new rifle, I like the Mauser style action with the controlled round feed. What other make of rifle offer this?

Mauser, Heym, Some Rugers, CZ, Winchester Model 70s (new and old with classical pre 64 style action), Kimber

I'm pretty sure Heyms are push feeds.

Why are afficionados so obssessed with controlled feed? I see its merits in a battle rifle or a dangerous game rifle, but in a stalking rifle, it really seems like a bit of an affectation.

I'm pretty sure Heyms are push feeds.

Why are afficionados so obssessed with controlled feed? I see its merits in a battle rifle or a dangerous game rifle, but in a stalking rifle, it really seems like a bit of an affectation.

was a fan, am a fan
but........

when you try to put one up the spout with a stag 60 yds away....... and use your thumb to quieten the mag release of the round ...........and it slips off the extractor claw
,,,,,,,,and into the chamber
.............and stops you closing the bolt because the claw doesn't ride over the rim like a push feed
...and you then spend 5 minutes tapping, hooking, smacking, thumping with increasing frustration to get the b@stard out.......

.........at that moment you wish you had a push feed!

no babying.
they like positive chambering
not great in silent CQC situations!

was a fan, am a fan
but........

when you try to put one up the spout with a stag 60 yds away....... and use your thumb to quieten the mag release of the round ...........and it slips off the extractor claw
.............and stops you closing the bolt because the claw doesn't ride over the rim like a push feed
...and you then spend 5 minutes tapping, hooking, smacking, thumping with increasing frustration to get the b@stard out.......

no babying.

Admittedly I only have 2 controlled round feed rifles, but both can be loaded quietly, and both chamber single top loaded rounds without the help of a magazine.

Neil. :)

Interestingly enough part of the specification for the Colt 1911 pistol...in 1910 or thereabouts...called for the safety catch to be inaudible at six yards distance when being set from the "on" to the "off" position. And having owned ennoyed and owned more than one of the origial Colt 1911s (as well as the later 1911A1) I can attest that it is so.

I', going to take my rifles out of my cabinet and see, or rather listen to, how noisy they are. I have a P-Hale M81 and a Belgian artisan .280 Mauser and a BRNO ZKK. I'll report back with the results on the feeding and safety catch tests later!

Winchester M70
Kimber
Dakota M76
Remington 798
Ruger 77
CZ
Heym Express (USA)
Mauser 98 action rifles, e.g. Johannsen, Prechtl, Satterlee, etc.
Probably a few more...

Heym was not CRF. At least not the one I had. (SR21)

Some of them are or at least were Woodmaster. A friend has a Heym and it is basically a well made K98 Mauser. Infact many of the makes mentioned are just Mauser actions or modified Mauser actions.

was a fan, am a fan
but........

no babying.
x2 :oops: A right pain in the chamber!

Actually the Mauser extractor can be modified to allow it to slip over the rim of a cartridge so chambered.

Oddly enough this is not a new idea or concept either.

Actually the Mauser extractor can be modified to allow it to slip over the rim of a cartridge so chambered.

Actually, all the Parker-Hale 98 actioned rifles I've had would do this when I got them. They were all purchased used , but I assumed this was a standard feature. Was I wrong ?

would be interested
actually my mini mauser BRNO .222 will slip over but the extractor is small enough and soft enough to allow that.

Back