The Ultimate European Hog rifle? The SCOUT Rifle!

Sidewinder

"Beware of the Man with one rifle!"

There has been some talk of a rifle for killing hogs in Europe on the threads.

What do you think about the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle? I have always been impressed by Jeff Cooper's concept of the Scout rifle, and was thinking of purchasing one or building a more accurate balanced version! Steyr and Savage also make something similar.

Its ugly as £*$$ and shoots only 2 MOA, but has a Mauser-like controlled feed extractor, is pretty light and manoeuvrable!

With detachable mags, are these rifles really legal in the UK and Europe?

This is a little hyped up but here is Ian Harford:

Last edited:
I wish he stayed still...and actually shot or examined the items he reviews, better is hickok45 on youtube he actually tests fires a 308 version 20 plus times at several diferent ranges if you want to see it in action. imo
atb

if all it can do is 2moa then to be honest my interest in it would stop there no matter how good the case extraction was on it or how manouverable it is

Why would that offering from Ruger make a good boar rifle. Its nearly as horrible as the Steyr scout rifle. But what ever floats your boat.

I thought the late Col Cooper had worked with Steyr to build his ideal Scout Rifle - a thing which although odd-looking has a bit more about it than the Ruger offering seems to have.

In any case, if I remember the long-eye-relief 'scope and retractable ghost-ring rearsight were integral parts of the concept.

I've shot my fair share of wild boar with bolt and double rifles.
Picking one of these up on Monday.

Why would you want to have an ugly gun which is slower?
Mine has a picatinny rail so will take swing off scope, red dot night vision or anything, battue sights are standard, also comes as a take down and has its own case.

Got to say the Browning looks good, heard only good things from my European friends using it, may have to sell a kidney and some to buy it though...

Mine has a picatinny rail so will take swing off scope, red dot night vision or anything, battue sights are standard, also comes as a take down and has its own case.

that Maral is QUITE COOL....I love the honesty in the responses!

Built my own short range/running game (scout) rifle based on a Mauser action in 308. Weighs 6.6lb without scope and takes 5 or 10 shot AI mags.
Under 1/2" at 100 and around 3" at 400m (with a different scope at longer ranges of course).
Use this rifle mainly for taking deer in plantations and heavy cover.
edi

DSCN7360_zpsc3b2557b.jpg

Sikadoe_zpsafe5122b.jpg

Shot one of the Ruger Scouts last summer. It was a struggle to keep it in 2 MOA. Nice looking and handling, but not a shooter.~Muir

Any idea why the rifle doesn't or didn't shoot?
edi

That's a good question. The only thing I can think of is that they just wanted to keep it within Cooper's specs of 2 MOA, enough to kill a man sized target at 400 yards. The scout scope is mounted forward of the receiver with long eye relief, which impedes accuracy from the start. In addition, Ruger never really had a reputation for accuracy like some of the other guys. Durability, convenience and manoeuvrability are most important in this rifle, accuracy is secondary.

Jeff Cooper's article on the Scout rifle appeared in the American rifleman in September 1985, his criteria was:

• Weight-sighted and slung: 3 kilograms (6.6 lb). This has been set as the ideal weight but the maximum has been stated as being 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds ).Length: 1 meter (39 inches)

• Nominal barrel length: .48 meter (19 inches)

• Sighting system: Typically a forward and low mounted (ahead of the action opening) long eye relief telescope of between 2x and 3x. Reserve iron sights desirable but not necessary. Iron sights of the ghost ring type, without a scope, also qualify, as does a low powered conventional position scope.
Action: Magazine fed bolt action. Detachable box magazine and/or stripper clip charging is desirable but not necessary.

• Sling: Fast loop-up type, i.e. Ching or CW style.

• Caliber: Nominally .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51 mm). Calibers such as 7 mm – 08 Remington (7 x 51 mm) or .243 Winchester (6 x 51 mm) being considered for frail individuals or where “military” calibers are proscribed.

• Built-in bipod: Desirable but not mandatory.

• Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4″) at 200 yards/meters (3 shot groups).

Keep in mind, Jeff Cooper's brilliance is in the CONCEPT of the Scout rifle as opposed to later mass production attempts at it. It looks like EJG (in the previous post) has comes close to perfecting it. NICE!

-Z

Last edited:

The Maral looks like a great rifle for driven boat. Had a play with one last Saturday. Enjoy :D.

all looks very good but , can you get a cack hander and have i got to sell a bollock to buy one !?:rofl:

Built my own short range/running game (scout) rifle based on a Mauser action in 308. Weighs 6.6lb without scope and takes 5 or 10 shot AI mags.
Under 1/2" at 100 and around 3" at 400m (with a different scope at longer ranges of course).
Use this rifle mainly for taking deer in plantations and heavy cover.
edi

DSCN7360_zpsc3b2557b.jpg

Sikadoe_zpsafe5122b.jpg
Nice rifle Ed

AB

Back