Thread: Why green?

Why green?

I just bought a cheapo 'scope off ebay, which has all kinds of functions I'll probably never need, including illuminated reticle. 2 colours - red and green. The red I can understand, and might even make use of, but why the green?
    I thought it might be for daytime use when shooting a dark target against a dark background, or something like that, but when I turned it on in the daytime the green doesn't show up at all, so obviously that's not the answer.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

one of my scope has blue... there must be a reason but I'm fecked if I can think of one???
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Maybe for those who are colour blind bu I am just guessing

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    It won't be colourblindness. Green and blue are closer in wavelength to natural light than red, so may stand out more for some people than the red. At the end of the day it's about choice and personal preference more than anything else. Red is less likely to affect the eyes night vision than the other two.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

From memory HAWKE say there blue option is for daylight shooting ! The only time I use my IR is with red.ATBMatt

The green is there to lure all the mugs who can't live without all the bells and whistles on a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    The green is there to lure all the mugs who can't live without all the bells and whistles on a scope.
    I suspected as much! Believe me, I didn't buy it for the green glow! But now I've got it, I'd like to find some use for the illumination.

Its so we can easily spot them when they try to pass them off as Leupold MK4's

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Maybe for use in snowy wastes or in desert conditions? So that your eyeball doesn't get all sore.

The green light might be because the military use green light rather than red to acclimatise for night operations these days.

Your scope may be tacticool.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".