Christmas dinner.

8x57

Distinguished Member
We are not very fond of turkey in our house so for quite a few years now we have had alternatives. We still go the whole hog and get the best silver out and dress the table but we just don't cook a turkey just to take a little breast meat off and be left with the remainder to try and dissolve in curries etc. The alternatives have ranged from various venison joints to duck and even to beef wellington, in fact anything but turkey. This year we asked the girls what they wanted and the reply was venison burgers. Both my daughters were particularly taken by the burgers produced by 243varmint and bandit country for the H4H shoot this year, so much so that I promised that I would get the next deer I shot converted into burgers using their recipe.

The problem is on Sunday morning I was sat in a high seat on my ground when a little fella even cuter than the one below stepped out not 10 yards below me. I didn’t have the heart to take him.

Great pic, super clarity with the bushnell. Sound like your gonna have to keep going out, wouldn't want the kids to go hungry:D
atb

We always have a Goose for Christmas Dinner but usually have Venison on Boxing Day or New Years Day.

Could you please post a link or cut & paste the venison burger recipe here ?

I wish I could because they are absolutely the best burgers I have ever tasted. Apparently it's a secret recipe that their butcher uses. While I normally chop up any beasts myself, bit of a travesty to call it butchering, on this occasion I intend to ask them who the burger maker is and use them.

Your going soft mike but use the old ones for burgers young uns are too good for that IMHO but it is Xmas dinner so I suppose

To be honest I haven't seen any bucks at all myself until that little black one the other morning, the couple of bucks that have shown have shown up on the trail camera. All the other deer that I have seen personally on my little shoot have been does. The little black buck that I saw the other morning had no visible signs of pedicles whatsoever, bearing in mind that the range was only 10 metres or so at most.

I will post a picture of a little spiker that showed up a month or so ago when I am on my personal computer.

Last edited:
Here you are a couple more photographs from the trail camera. Ignore the dates as some of them are wrong, I cocked up setting the time date stamp but I have got it sorted now as I asked the kids to do it for me.

View attachment 35369View attachment 35370View attachment 35371

View attachment 35372

I also have no shortage of these but the landowner doesn't want them shot but still complains about the shortage of lapwings in the one meadow where previously there had been a few nesting.

View attachment 35373

Last edited:
Thanks Howy it is a lovely bit of ground but unfortunately not very large and dificult to stalk because of the lay of the land. A little bit of paradise really. This is a picture taken from the high seat that the little black buck appeared underneath the other day.

View attachment 35382

Last edited:
:rofl: expected to see you and misses sitting at the table and not the centre peace of the table lol. enjoy your meal feller merry xmas mty

PS Yup best burgers i have ever had top draw.

Last edited:
See now you've got me feeling sorry for you I may have to drop some burgers down to you as my freezer is bulging what with the last few boar & a few hinds the burger & sausage count has gone through the roof. Lol

Drop some to Essex or bring them to next H4H had a word its at Bisley next time :norty:

See now you've got me feeling sorry for you I may have to drop some burgers down to you as my freezer is bulging what with the last few boar & a few hinds the burger & sausage count has gone through the roof. Lol

Drop some to Essex or bring them to next H4H had a word its at Bisley next time :norty:

If it is you know more than me Paul, nothing has been arranged for next year yet.;)

I'm going to have another look on my little shoot in the morning, hopefully I won't meet the little black fella again but something a little bit bigger and older.

o well lets hope it come to us then feller ;) see you next year at what ever range feller but you must bring the food as well:tiphat:

If it is you know more than me Paul, nothing has been arranged for next year yet.;)

I'm going to have another look on my little shoot in the morning, hopefully I won't meet the little black fella again but something a little bit bigger and older.

Back