scope valuation please

eddoakley

Looking for a realistic valuation for a meopta 7x50 (1" tube) with meopta range finding type reticle.
Dont want silly prices that it would never achieve and I would be in no rush to sell it so no stupidly low valuations either.
It is on a rifle I am looking at and if the scope was to make the right price it would make the rifle affordable. I have looked on e bay etc but prices vary a lot. This one has a few small marks on the tube but glass is perfect. also has butler creek flip ups.

All help greatly appreciated.

Edd

[h=2]stratts paid in july

Q {Meopta 7x50 Artemis 1" tube with 4B reticle[/h]
Hi guys I'd like another Meopta 7x50 to sit on top of my .308 if you have one in good condition with no crimp marks or scratches on the lenses? Not fussed about a few marks on the scope itself as long as the price reflects overall condition.

As a guide I just bought 2 good condition scopes for £175 and £180 respectively and have the same amount of cash sitting here waiting for the right deal,

Cheers

Stratts​

I think I got £195 for mine when I sold it earlier in the yea, which was £15 less than I paid for the 7x50 2100 I bought to replace it!

Novice

When I was looking around the prices did vary but I think even with the covers I think you'd be lucky to get 200 quid mate. The one I got for £175 was mint and still has 4 years warranty left which is transferable. If you get the serial number and email John (Marchwood) info@marchwooduk.co.uk he will tell you the exact type, age and warranty left on it. The after sales service is very good with these guys even when you buy 2nd hand,

Cheers

Stratts

Thanks guys. Need it to be worth £200 or very close to, to make the gun affordable.
Cheers
Edd

All I can say is good luck with that.

In today's current financial climate you will need all the luck you can find on this.

Cracking scopes but the prices have dropped off on them.

All I can say is good luck with that.

In today's current financial climate you will need all the luck you can find on this.

Cracking scopes but the prices have dropped off on them.

Not a million miles away really.. a few people saying 175.I could live with that. Just to decide if I want the gun now. Dont NEED it at all but maybe just WANT it enough

Edd

You gotta satisfy the wants in life too.............. I'm getting ready to spend a bunch of money on a gun that I don't need either.. You gotta pay yourself for the time you spend paying the bills.....

You gotta satisfy the wants in life too.............. I'm getting ready to spend a bunch of money on a gun that I don't need either.. You gotta pay yourself for the time you spend paying the bills.....

I like that statement I just hope the Mrs will understand next time I use it!! :D Although she's been doing it for years!!

I fail to see how the value on Meopta scopes could be dropping, they are not getting any cheaper to buy new :confused:
I sold my last 7x50 for over £200 about 4 years ago, at the time a new one was less than £300 by a little bit.
I bought a new 4x32 one a couple of months back and paid the best part of £300, and that was a decent price as most
were over £300 and all the way up to an advertised £370, mostly from sellers who didn't actually even have one to sell.
While tatty S&B and Swaro 6x42's are making £300 a decent Meopta has to be worth £225 all day long, but conditions is
important, at least in my book, a scope with ring marks is worth much less, if anybody actually even wants it at all.

Neil. :)

The fact is that shooting for most of us is a hobby. in a financially challenging environment there is less spare cash around so people are either buying less or paying less, and hobbies take a back seat compared to heating and food.

You can put a scope up for sale for £100, £200, £300 or £1000 but it will only ever be worth what the buyer is willing to pay. In this climate there are less people willing to pay that extra £25-£50 just to get the scope they want quickly, they will wait, haggle, go without or hunt down a bargain. I personally brought a ex-demo zeiss scope this week that had a minor scratch on the body; yes i could have afforded the new one but by accepting a scratch i saved circa £800 off the RRP. So what was the scope worth to me? Not the full RRP but a “new scope” at 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand prices, will it be worth less when I sell it, yes but I would lose too much.

The fact is that shooting for most of us is a hobby. in a financially challenging environment there is less spare cash around so people are either buying less or paying less, and hobbies take a back seat compared to heating and food.

You can put a scope up for sale for £100, £200, £300 or £1000 but it will only ever be worth what the buyer is willing to pay. In this climate there are less people willing to pay that extra £25-£50 just to get the scope they want quickly, they will wait, haggle, go without or hunt down a bargain. I personally brought a ex-demo zeiss scope this week that had a minor scratch on the body; yes i could have afforded the new one but by accepting a scratch i saved circa £800 off the RRP. So what was the scope worth to me? Not the full RRP but a “new scope” at 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand prices, will it be worth less when I sell it, yes but I would lose too much.

spot on Sir,,,nothing 'has' to be worth XYZ..well maybe in the owners eyes..but it's supply and demand, and something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it..that's its market value...perceived value by the owner, that's another issue of course!

I fail to see how the value on Meopta scopes could be dropping, they are not getting any cheaper to buy new :confused:
I sold my last 7x50 for over £200 about 4 years ago, at the time a new one was less than £300 by a little bit.
I bought a new 4x32 one a couple of months back and paid the best part of £300, and that was a decent price as most
were over £300 and all the way up to an advertised £370, mostly from sellers who didn't actually even have one to sell.
While tatty S&B and Swaro 6x42's are making £300 a decent Meopta has to be worth £225 all day long, but conditions is
important, at least in my book, a scope with ring marks is worth much less, if anybody actually even wants it at all.

Neil. :)

Well I own two of the Meopta 7x50 scopes and the most expensive was £175 the other which I brought a few years back when Meopta was not a well known brand here in the UK I gave £125 for.

I watch items on the dreaded bay as well and they are simply not fetching what they did say in 1012.

As PKL has so rightly pointed out "worth", "cost" and value are entirely different things.

I often laugh when I hear people say this is worth XYZ what they mean is it cost XYZ which does not mean it's worth that much really. Cars, rifles and scopes are excellent examples of this.

Back