Thread: Trail cam

Trail cam

Looking at trail cams at the moment.
    Mainly to determine fox movement and times.

whats good (or bad) ?
    range ?
    positioning ?
    I am thinking of using it to scan a large yard which has sensor lights, would these affect performance. ?

I appreciate you pays for what you get so I will leave an open budget whilst looking for value for money.

So what can you recommend . .??

Cheers Steve

PId check out the Spypoint BF10-HD.

It has just won an award, and is recommended by Chris Packham,

10MP, 720P HD and Covert IR for £235

SW Birmingham (Rubery Rednal)
    +1 for the SpyPoint - IME nothing beats it when you need range.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Most trail cameras have a very limited sensor range and a rather limited "usable" range in terms of the photos they produce. Given this I don't think they are well suited to scanning a large yard as photos taken any more than 30 - 40 feet from the camera aren't that great and the motion activated trigger will not work much beyond 40 feet in most situations.

If you know where the foxes are coming and going and can get the camera to within these distances then you will, of course, do OK but using cameras to scan large areas is not much of a success in my experience. I also find that the best images are produced by having the camera at about the same height as the animal you are photographing and, again, this limits effectiveness in covering a large area.

The sensor activated lights might be a bit of a problem. From what I can see, probably to save on batteries and make things simple, trail cameras use a light "meter" built into the camera to determine how to expose a scene. So if the camera is located in deep shade, say under a tree, and the deer stands out in bright sunlight then you will get an almost totally white image. It is impossible to say how other lights might impact upon your images but you would certainly have to be careful as to positioning and you might have to accept that it will take a few tries before you get decent images.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit: