Moose in sweden

TonyC

Currently Watching a programme on Wild HD on moose accidents, at 70kph hitting a moose will not deploy the air bag or trigger the seat belt pre-tensioner, the legs don't register !! You stand little chance. About 7,0000 hits per year.

Game wardens in Stockholm use .22 hornet to shoot about 5 out of 50 per year in the city centre.

Fascinating programme

Last edited:
You don't need air bags as the moose is likely to slide up the bonnet through the windscreen and end up in your lap. Its the weight of the moose that kills you.

IIRC Saab used to build their cars (pre GM era) with reinforced roof line above the windscreen to stop the moose coming through the window - am sure i saw some footage of some crash testing with a moose made of rubber sections supported by steel wires, pretty amazing!

You don't need air bags as the moose is likely to slide up the bonnet through the windscreen and end up in your lap. Its the weight of the moose that kills you.

Exactly... As one of my hunting team put it, your more likely to survive by swerving off the road and crashing into the nearest tree! :eek:

Last edited:
Moose collisions are a problem here as well. Every year we have fatalities from people hitting moose, as Jagare says, on impact they come through the windshield and kill you. I may be wrong , but I think Newfoundland has the highest fatality rate in the world for moose collisions, there are a LOT of Moose on the rock.Google moose collisions newfoundland, there are some pictures of cars and trucks after hitting swamp donkeys, its amazing that anyone survives the impact.

AB

Can't find the video online that I have seen before but the link below takes you to the Nat Geo website where you can watch a Volvo estate hit a 'moose' dummy- would be the same if you hit a horse that had got out of a field in the UK!!

As I said, I recall that Saab were the only people who reinforced the A pillars and roof above the windscreen to help protect the passengers - these are the areas the guy at the end of the film mentions.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/videos/moose-crash-test/

Moose collisions are a problem here as well. Every year we have fatalities from people hitting moose, as Jagare says, on impact they come through the windshield and kill you. I may be wrong , but I think Newfoundland has the highest fatality rate in the world for moose collisions, there are a LOT of Moose on the rock.Google moose collisions newfoundland, there are some pictures of cars and trucks after hitting swamp donkeys, its amazing that anyone survives the impact.

AB

Saw the stats for Canada on the tv the other day. A motor vehicle hits a deer or moose on average every 5 minutes.

Back