Thread: December Rutting stag

December Rutting stag

I was stalking hinds yesterday at Invermark in the Angus Glens. A rather bright, but cold day with a dusting of snow on the tops something of a contrast from stalking stags there in September. I saw a golden eagle, which came so close I could see its rings through my binoculars, snow buntings, a raven and lots of grouse and hares.

However, what stood out the most is that we stalked in to a herd of deer with a huge stag holding the hinds. He even gave a us a roar and chased one of the hinds. The stalker said he had seen some late rutting activity during this back end and I was wondering if it is just in this area or further a field too.

Stalking hinds in Glen Lyon at the end of October there was no sign of rutting.

An interesting day out with a hind added to the larder.

I was in Helmsdale the other week and there were lots of stags still roaring

Believe it or not we had a Fallow Buck grunting on Monday night. This years rut on all the species seems to be up side down!!
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to