Deer poachers result

dlz90

A great by result the garda that will hopefully put the message out to other like minded persons

Two Deer Poachers Convicted at Naas District Court on 4th. December 2013. Fines totalling €3,100.00, driving disqualifications for two years, firearm certificates to be revoked. (Share & like to name & shame)

Garda statement - two men from Rathvilly, Co. Carlow appeared at Naas District Court on 4th. December 2013 charged with three offences under the Wildlife Act 1976 as amended.

Defendants Donal Smith Jnr, 10 Woodgrove Avenue, Rathvilly, Co. Carlow & Christopher Morris, 31 Slaney Bank, Rathvilly, Co. Carlow.

The offences charged related to the unlawful possession of a Sika Deer, Obstruction of an Authorised Officer and Using an MPV for the purpose of hunting at Kippure, Co. Wicklow on 16th. February 2012.

The facts of the case confirmed that Conservation Rangers from the NPWS had surveillance in place on the carcass of a Sika Deer which was concealed adjacent to the main road leading from Blessington to the Sally Gap. It was suspected that the deer had been illegally shot the previous night and had been prepared for collection during daylight hours thus minimising the chances of detection/interception while poaching / conveying deer during the night time hours.

The two defendants arrived on scene at 2.20pm. They were photographed by the Rangers and readily identified while loading the deer carcass into a black VW Golf the property of Mr Donal Smith Jnr.

The defendants made good their escape when challenged by the Rangers and drove away towards Blessington.

At 3.30pm Garda Darragh Jennings stopped the offending vehicle at Hollywood, Co. Wicklow however the defendants had disposed of the carcass at this juncture.

They were questioned at lenght but denied all knowledge of the allegations of deer poaching. When the photographic evidence was produced in situ they rubbished same suggesting that it had been contrived.

Mr Smith Jnr, through his solicitor, admitted shooting one deer. It was further suggested that he was embarking upon a career as a bodybuilder and required the venison as a cheap form of protein.

Judge Zaidan imposed a fine of 1100e and a two year driving disqualification against Christopher Morris while Donal Smith Jnr was fined a total of 2000e with a two year disqualification.

Judge Zaidan indicated that he was seriously considering the imposition of a custodial sentence and said that on the evidence as presented he was satisfied that Mr Smith Jnr played a pivotal role in this organised and structured deer poaching enterprise.

Mr Smith Jnr holds Firearm Certificates in respect of two rifles and it is envisaged that both will be revoked by the District Officer in Carlow.

Great news,now we may be getting some just punishment for these all too common crimes.

I have heard there is a lot of poaching out that way. Good to see them get a result. Revoking the license should be a starting point and then remove their licences as well. Make it harder for them.

Seems a bit harsh, unless they had previous of course.
i dont agree with that! theve done the crime and probably loads of others aswell , if there is no real deterent then they will keep taking the pi$$ , its about time the hard work of the rangers were rewarded with a good result in court , we are sick to death of poachers localy and wish the police and courts would be as good at punishing rural crime like this

Probably loads of others as well ?? maybe not though.

Not sure that a 2 year ban, which may cost someone their livelihood is apt for shooting a deer.

I do not think that courts should have the power to remove a driving license for this type of offence.

+1 the more's the better in my mind pity there aren't more getting this sort of punishment .

i dont agree with that! theve done the crime and probably loads of others aswell , if there is no real deterent then they will keep taking the pi$$ , its about time the hard work of the rangers were rewarded with a good result in court , we are sick to death of poachers localy and wish the police and courts would be as good at punishing rural crime like this

Not sure that a 2 year ban, which may cost someone their livelihood is apt for shooting a deer.

I do not think that courts should have the power to remove a driving license for this type of offence.
the truth of the matter is they have done it , been convicted , and been sentanced , they and alot of others will think twice about it in future , this soft society is always giving criminals a second chance or soft sentances , which we rightly moan about , so fair play the courts for making a stand ! have you been the victim of crime ? i have and have no sympathy at all for them , end off

Lucky its not in the USA then. The law on poaching out there is much harsher. Loosing their car and firearms is only the start, if it were me they would be losing their liberty as well for a year.

Theft is theft and poaching is theft and many will have been thieving deer for years and the proceeds probably paid for the vehicle in the first place.

Theft is theft, hmm maybe so.

In that case, every self employed person taking cash in hand jobs and stealing money from the govt should serve a driving ban.

They are far worse criminals in my eyes. Stealing money from the NHS.

Don't make the mistake if thinking I condone poaching using a gun, but I think the punishment should suit the crime, consistently

In that case, every self employed person taking cash in hand jobs and stealing money from the govt should serve a driving ban.

Don't make the mistake if thinking I condone poaching using a gun, but I think the punishment should suit the crime, consistently

while i agree in essence with what you say why single out driving licenses for self employed???? why not have an arrest on income although we all know most good accountants will ask someone how much money they would like to show the business made.... there are many far worse and deemed legal ways to dispose of tax revenues....

Lucky its not in the USA then. The law on poaching out there is much harsher. Loosing their car and firearms is only the start, if it were me they would be losing their liberty as well for a year.

Theft is theft and poaching is theft and many will have been thieving deer for years and the proceeds probably paid for the vehicle in the first place.
If this were Saudi they wouldn`t have any hands left to drive or shoot with.

They were punished as the court saw fit. Using a vehicle to aid in committing a crime, as in poaching, means you can lose your licence.

It serves the scumbags right and hopefully will be an example and deterrent to all like-minded pratts.

I know those mountains well having legally shot many beasts there with my old friends of the Ardbrae Game Association. [Regretfully many of whom are now deceased.]
Poaching has been rife in that area for a long time and those who pay for their sport there should not incur the loss.

Well done the Garda and their legal system !

HWH.

Poaching is still theft and many commit assault on gamekeepers defending their right to steal. Punishment fits the crime..............then bring back hanging for child murderers etc.

Poaching with or without a gun is a crime and many commit violence against innocent people defending their living. Lets not go off thread about stealing from the NHS or working for cash.

I dont know the case and feel poaching should be dealt with on a case by case basis. But if Malc is correct and these chaps did infact assault game keepers and other law abiding individuals then they deserve what they get.
Punishment should fit the crime.:eek:

Poaching is still theft and many commit assault on gamekeepers defending their right to steal. Punishment fits the crime..............then bring back hanging for child murderers etc.

Having spent a few nights in A&E as well as not being able to eat solid food for 6 weeks after one incident I couldn't agree more.
It's good to see a judge nailing the barstewards for a change instead of giving them a slap on the wrist.

I agree, you only get 12 months for drink driving. After all this was not even a driving offence.
Tusker

Poaching is rife just about everywhere, maybe the judge is more clued up than we give him credit for by removing the transport eliment.
I don`t have a problem with him handing down a two year ban to anyone. If you do the crime then you have to accept the punishment, whatever it is.

A stalker could be losing his livelihood because of these thieving scrotes .. now that is wrong.

there might be abit more to this bit 'The defendants made good their escape when challenged by the Rangers and drove away towards Blessington.'

Back