Yukon Photon IR

Bigboab29

Hi Guys,

Trying to decide what IR to get for my photon. I'm going to swap it between my 222 for fox out to a max distance of around 200 yards and on to my 22 for bunnies out to maybe 60 yards. What do you guys in the know think would be the best? i have been looking at the nm800ir, the nm400ir, the pulsar x850, t20ir and the 501bir. There seems to be quite a big difference in the pricing of the units, is this reflected in the performance of the units or are some over priced? Is the difference really worthwhile compared to the onboard ir? I have watched the youtube videos but theres only so much you can make out when your not looking at it in the flesh. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers BB

The 501b is more than enough for 200 yards with the Photon (rather than rear-add-on rigs)

It's also nice and compact - and the LED module can be swapped in seconds with no tools in a dark and cold field.

Here is me showing how simple and quick it is to swap/fit the module after a 501b has been user DIY upgraded:

There are plenty more video's where that one is but you might like to get the kettle boiled. :D

Id recommend the Nightmaster NM400 personally, as offers more than enough IR for the task.

The NM800 IR is too powerful, and tends to overexpose the image, particularly at shorter ranges.

Hi Guys,

Trying to decide what IR to get for my photon. I'm going to swap it between my 222 for fox out to a max distance of around 200 yards and on to my 22 for bunnies out to maybe 60 yards. What do you guys in the know think would be the best? i have been looking at the nm800ir, the nm400ir, the pulsar x850, t20ir and the 501bir. There seems to be quite a big difference in the pricing of the units, is this reflected in the performance of the units or are some over priced? Is the difference really worthwhile compared to the onboard ir? I have watched the youtube videos but theres only so much you can make out when your not looking at it in the flesh. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers BB

I cant offer advise on IR but im interested in how you rate your Yukon Photon ? have you compared it against more expensive NV ?

Cheers
[h=2][/h]

We found that the NM400 was more than adequate and on full power it provided a better image and better range than the NM800 on low power so to save £60 odd the NM400 is the better choice for the Photon.

By all means an NM800 will do the job well, but on lower power setting it didnt provide the range the 400 did of course.

I cant offer advise on IR but im interested in how you rate your Yukon Photon ? have you compared it against more expensive NV ?

Cheers

Ive just put one on my CZ 455 in 17HMR specifically for bunny bashing. I fitted the Marky 610 adapter and a 1.7 'doubler' lens. Cannot lie i'm massively impressed! I'm going out for real at the weekend but first impressions are that in its standard (5x) format its good but with the add on lens (making it approx (8.5x) its excellent. I can easily make out 'wabbit' sized targets at 150-175 yds with no difficulty. It is a little focus finiky but once you get it done its quite forgiving with mine focused at 125 yds and usable for prey ID from 75-150+. The onboard IR is ok, good enough even on v dark nights but i may try an ad-on IR to see the difference, not because it needs one.
Ive read a lot around the forums with vastly different view from awesome to unworkable. I'm not sure if there are manufacturing problems causing these and 'duff' units out there or if people have wildy unrealistic expectations.
I've also read a few blokes saying things along the lines of 'if you think this is good it shows how little you know of good nv'.... I'm serving British Army and have been for 21 years. I got back from Afghanistan last Friday. I use nv (as do all serving squaddies nowadays) nightly usually 3rd Gen equipment. For £400 this is an outstanding piece if kit! With the doubler and adapter (about £130 extra) even better.

Hope this helps.

(and no I'm not on commision!)

Deano

Ive just put one on my CZ 455 in 17HMR specifically for bunny bashing. I fitted the Marky 610 adapter and a 1.7 'doubler' lens. Cannot lie i'm massively impressed! I'm going out for real at the weekend but first impressions are that in its standard (5x) format its good but with the add on lens (making it approx (8.5x) its excellent. I can easily make out 'wabbit' sized targets at 150-175 yds with no difficulty. It is a little focus finiky but once you get it done its quite forgiving with mine focused at 125 yds and usable for prey ID from 75-150+. The onboard IR is ok, good enough even on v dark nights but i may try an ad-on IR to see the difference, not because it needs one.
Ive read a lot around the forums with vastly different view from awesome to unworkable. I'm not sure if there are manufacturing problems causing these and 'duff' units out there or if people have wildy unrealistic expectations.
I've also read a few blokes saying things along the lines of 'if you think this is good it shows how little you know of good nv'.... I'm serving British Army and have been for 21 years. I got back from Afghanistan last Friday. I use nv (as do all serving squaddies nowadays) nightly usually 3rd Gen equipment. For £400 this is an outstanding piece if kit! With the doubler and adapter (about £130 extra) even better.

Hope this helps.

(and no I'm not on commision!)

Deano

That tells me what I want to know ,Cheers.

Back