Which thermal imager ?

nick100

Looking for a thermal imager for spotting, any recommendations please.
First hand experience would be great, anything in particular I should look out for ?

Having tried pretty well all thermal imagers available I have settled for a Pulsar Quantum HD38s. It does the job perfectly. For spotting it's ideal, I can see rabbits out to 400 metres easily, I wouldn't be without mine.

+1 on Pulsar h38s. As Old Keeper says;" I wouldn't be without mine."
Find it replacing binos and a nm800 for observing the nocturnal antics of the local wildlife when walking mutts.

Atb
Andy

Thanks for the replies, I must admit I had got my eye on the HD38, what kind of range could you spot a fox at ?
Does it need the extra battery pack ?

Thanks for the replies, I must admit I had got my eye on the HD38, what kind of range could you spot a fox at ?
Does it need the extra battery pack ?

Here is a fox at 100m to 5m. Should be able to see a fox on a clear field at 300m with ease. I do have a battery pack but haven't needed to use it. It has a spare 4 cell holder and I just swap them over when it runs out. Lasts a good 3 hours. The far rabbits in the video are 180m. The ambient temperature was 14 degrees celcius.

I have a guide 518c and that goes through batteries, quite fast so you carry a spare pack ready we only use it for thick cover

I have HD38s it's superb shot at least 12 foxes with it so far was out with someone last week with the HD38 and it wasn't a patch on my 38s plus features like hinged lens cover auto calibration picture was sharper more detailed to say the least batteries on mine have done a full nights 7hrs foxing last week on and off so it says to me 38S.
it's a cracking tool wouldn't be without it you see everything the fox is doing where it's heading what it's next move might be etc you can count exactly how many rabbits are doing damage as I had to do recently.
Expensive but outstanding.

IMG_0745.jpgI got mine from above, and had two foxes first time out. Cracking bit of kit at a sensible price. The EPS3 batteries give up to ten hours use.

Last edited:
Back