Eagle 1 Fox 0

Fantastic picture, was that taken in the UK?
My son and me had a day earlier this year flying with Golden eagles.
We were with a group of falconer's, that flew their Golden eagles on hares. The eagles almost looked they weren't even trying, a huge magnificent bird and a real privilage to witness first hand.

An old mate has two they both are very good on fox thier primary quarry the female at fat wieght 11+lbs was not for the feint hearted and I didn't hang around in her mews she made the hairs on the back of my neck stick up .
norma

Here a link to the story behind the photo.

http://www.abc.net.a...eatbelt/5138450
Paul

Updated Thu 5 Dec 2013, 6:14pm AEDT
Photo: A wedged-tailed eagle takes a fox at a wheatbelt property near Lake King, WA. (Scott Bell)

Audio: Wildlife officer explains eagle behaviour (ABC Rural)

Map: Lake King 6356

With an influx of stories and photographs of eagle activity on Western Australian wheatbelt properties, a raptor expert says it is nothing unusual.
Department of Parks and Wildlife officer Matt Swan says although wedge-tailed eagles often scavenge for food they are also canny hunters.
"They will go to carrion that is on the ground, kangaroo carcasses and things like that," he says.
"But they are very adept hunters as well. They take a wide variety of food like small bobtails to prey items that are many times their own weight, wallabies or young kangaroos."
Lake Varley farmer Scott Bell managed to photograph a wedge-tailed eagle with a live fox in it's claws.
"We just finished picking up wheat from the harvester and saw a fox jump out of the crop then an eagle came out of nowhere and grabbed it." he said.
"I jumped out of the tractor and managed to take that photo.
"Right place, right time. Just lucky I guess."
Mr Swan says despite a rise in sightings of wedge-tailed eagles, the population in WA is quite stable.

Last edited:
My mate flies and breeds golden eagles. I have had the privilege of hunting with them. They are a stunning, captivating bird however, they are also an unbelievably strong and potentially dangerous bird to be around should you not know what you are doing or one suddenly just takes the notion! Although they are flown, hunted with, trained and so on, there is always something about them that suggests they tolerate you, but only just. He has the scars to prove it, some serious but could have been so much worse.

Are some english hunts not flying eagles to get round the hunt ban. Using a pair to hunt and flush the fox to the eagle i think.
Must admit would like to see that.

My male on his swing perch and my female steppe eagle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
My male on his swing perch and my female steppe eagle

Very impressive. Does anyone fly eagles against deer in the UK, or is that more of a continental thing? I'd imagine cwd would be suitable, given their size and, from what I've seen, their willingnes to run across open space rather than dodge into cover.

Novice

:rofl:That's a little cub fox.
A good eagle will have fox for breakfast!
Wolves are more of a challenge...........read some of Friedrich Remmlers accounts of hunting on the Kirghiz Steppe or have a look at this.........(make sure the volume is turned up for the awesome music :thumb:)

:rofl:That's a little cub fox.
A good eagle will have fox for breakfast!
Wolves are more of a challenge...........read some of Friedrich Remmlers accounts of hunting on the Kirghiz Steppe or have a look at this.........(make sure the volume is turned up for the awesome music :thumb:)

Awesome footage. Shame its not clearer.

Back