Welsh deer population

timbrayford

Does anyone know if there are any published population estimates for the approximate number of deer in Wales and whether their number and range is expanding?

atb Tim

I would dissmiss Anglesey in the BDS survey,unless they can swimm the Menai.
There is a small populaion of fallow on a private estate on the island,but other than that I think you've got a better chance of seeing Elvis than deer.
View attachment 35495

There is a small populaion of fallow on a private estate on the island,but other than that I think you've got a better chance of seeing Elvis than deer.
View attachment 35495

Deer have been found swimming a mile out at sea.
Sika crossed Poole harbour in one night.
Roe regularly cross one river on one of my permissions.
Don't worry about deer swimming. In winter coat their hair is hollow giving even more buoyancy.

View attachment 35495

I am told that they cross the straits in the past from the Vaynol estate towards Plas Newydd. I take it that the estate that you are thinking of is the Bodorgan estate. Water isn't much of an obstacle to either deer or boar.

Don't worry about deer swimming. In winter coat their hair is hollow giving even more buoyancy.

View attachment 35502

I was refering in particular to the munty populations/distribution published by the BDS survey which is wrong.
There are no muntjac on Anglesey Teyhan,sadly,regardless of their coat and the ability to swim.
http://www.first-nature.com/mammals/deer.php this is a very interesting link to the deer population in Wales arried out by the DI.

I am told that they cross the straits in the past from the Vaynol estate towards Plas Newydd. I take it that the estate that you are thinking of is the Bodorgan estate. Water isn't much of an obstacle to either deer or boar.

I have also been told by someone who used to keeper at Plas Newydd that deer had been seen back in the 70's,when the population at Vaynol was much higher,and they either crossed the Straits,or walked over at very low tide or escaped from Bodorgan.
Bodorgan is indeed the estate which has a deer park and there has been reports of some escapees from here too,

Their hair is hollow in their summer coat too.

i hope this has nothing to do with the crazy deer plans on the isle of wight
wales has deer and
lets keep it that way

Back