Fox calling

1. make sure the wind its in the right direction
2. dont call if no need
3. dont use your calls to fast like a lot of people do

practice on all your calls and even your hand its the best call u will get in my opinion,take your time and you will get good results same as everything :) hope this helps a little bit the list would be endless lol good luck ;)

thats just like saying how longs a piece of string u never know , but if u see a fox coming the you position yourself to get into the right place for a safe shot :)

Yes but I read this as being more to do with how to position yourself relative to the likely approach angle and prevailing wind direction considerations. There being some advantage if at all possible in adopting a position where the wind is not hitting you in the face if there are acres behind you.

All a bit difficult to convey in words when a schematic would make clear but put simply a side wind can be helpful as the more cunning fox likes to approach a dinner that can be smelt as well as heard.

Reading this back though I'm not at all convinced I've made my point!

K

I didn't see the point of starting a new thread on this,

I am trying rabbit distress recordings at the moment, has anyone had any luck with them foxing blind (no fox in sight)?

I am using it through the ipod or phone on my jeep at 20 minute blasts, I even have tried throwing down a dead rabbit or hare about 50 yards from vehicle as bait (has worked on a couple of occasions)

Whats all your thoughts...

I didn't see the point of starting a new thread on this,

I am trying rabbit distress recordings at the moment, has anyone had any luck with them foxing blind (no fox in sight)?

I am using it through the ipod or phone on my jeep at 20 minute blasts, I even have tried throwing down a dead rabbit or hare about 50 yards from vehicle as bait (has worked on a couple of occasions)

Whats all your thoughts...

Try looking at some of the YouTube clips or even an old Warrener video- that's exactly how most people call I'd say. The hare (jackrabbit) and rabbit (cottontail) calls and variations of must be the most used calls around.
Start quiet/infrequent and then build both up and then back down again I would suggest.
A lot more depends on the fox I'd say. Young, old, hungry and sick ones will respond in a much more blasé fashion than those middle aged survivors.
I always try and imagine a rabbit hung up in a snare or wrestling with a stoat and try and recreate the ensuing rising/falling melee of squeals.
That said, other times they will come to a curiosity noise that sounds nothing like anything they have eaten!

When watching the YouTube stuff, try to look past the obvious sight of a seemingly tame fox coming trotting up to a call and look at the rest of their 'set'. How have they concealed themselves? Where is the wind? How close can the fox get to the call without exposing himself to danger? Which call are they using? How long do they keep the same sound going? Are they using a decoy?

Its not a magic flute but it is another tool in the box. Lots of things will decide how you use it. If it's a known fox, I would argue that just sitting out is as effective- or rather less risky although if you have a foxy area, it can definitely draw them out for a look if nothing else.

Roy Lupton's daytime calling on field sports tv is simply awesome!

Despite my best efforts to find one, there's no guide-book to calling, just good old fashioned field craft!

Last edited:
Had my first attempt at this last night.
Sat on a bank beneath a wood, gutted a couple of rabbits from earlier and started squeaking.
Within 15 mins out the dark a fox come running past me about 10 meters away like a steam train!
Got to say that was quite exilorationg!
Trouble is the dog thaught it was fun also and ended up giving chase to the fox!

Well that was that blown!
Dog returned to a rather unimpressed owner, needless to say I had a few stern words to say to him about it!

Had my first attempt at this last night.
Sat on a bank beneath a wood, gutted a couple of rabbits from earlier and started squeaking.
Within 15 mins out the dark a fox come running past me about 10 meters away like a steam train!
Got to say that was quite exilorationg!
Trouble is the dog thaught it was fun also and ended up giving chase to the fox!

Well that was that blown!
Dog returned to a rather unimpressed owner, needless to say I had a few stern words to say to him about it!

After my week/weekend that was highly amusing lol I have it in my head pictured the whole scenario

Got a fox early hours this morning, No 4x4 so thought i would stick to farm track in the hire clio i have at the minute lmao, put through the rabbit distress on the ipod through car stereo worked will on an old fox got him in about 20 yards and took him with the .22 nice clean shot to the head.

I never had much luck this time of year over the years with distress calls but found fox calls, cries and barks more effective however as this year I used the fox pro, and last week I got 5 all called to the pheasant distress just b4 and after dusk on 3 farms, it was a surprise :lol:

Back