Zeiss v Leica Binoculars

TonyC

As christmas is coming I have been looking at the range finding binos, can some one tell me the difference between Leica Geovid BRF 8 x 42 and the Zeiss Victory RF 8 x 45 or is the Zeis only availably in the USA as I cannot find any in this country.

Also has anyone any views about using them.

Thanks
TonyC

tony
the only difference is personal preference
what feels good in the hands and what you
think when your looking through them
everybodys different .
i personally went leica 10 x 42 range finding
regards pete .

Absolutely right. Both quality glass - it's about how they feel in your hands and getting the field of view you want. When you get into this price bracket all the glass is quality stuff.

Nikon also do some very good glass.

Have looked at both - I would go with the Leica - I feel they are better made than the American Zeiss.

I use leica 8x42 geovids there clear as a bell and very accurate.The only down side is there warranty only five years on geovids.Personaly i would wait for swavorski to bring theres out hopefully later this year.When they do i will sell my geovids for a pair,Swarvoski has a far better aftersales as i know to my cost 380 quid to replace a focusing that fell of my leicas whilst stalking.Whilst swarvoski completley re built my slc 7x42 free of charge after my spaniel ate them :oops: .
cheers sean
p.s the spaniels now alergic to binos they bring her out in lumps :D

i went to a stalkers eve last thurs night and the man from zeiss was there giving it all the waffle , and telling us better ziess was than any other optic company !

well i questioned him and said i would like to compair the zeiss equivelant to my 10x50 leicas well ,

the 8x56 zeiss victory were no better or worse in the dark than mine but the zeiss being of a lower mag then they should have been better and they were not !

go with leica you WILL not reget it !!

cheers lee

I had the opportunity to try the Zeiss at the CLA this year.

Now consider that this was in broad daylight, so I cannot touch on light gathering ability - however, the strange thing for me was the field of view.

To my eye, the Zeiss had a bit of a 'porthole' feel to it - really did not like it compared to the Leica.

To my eye, the Leica gives a better picture.

Rgds

Ian :)

ZEISS V LEICA

A good friend of mine got the zeiss and the next time he visited he had sold them and purchased the leicas ,he said they just seemed more comfortable to use.
Optics wise he didnt feel there was much in it though

ATB
RICK O SHEA

RE BINOS

I have a pair of Leica Geovid Range Finder Binos in 8 x 56. Cant beat them. Come with 30 year warranty. Had several makes but the Leica are the best.
John.

I have the Leica 8x42 BRF and a keeper mate has the Zeiss
and I have compared the two.

Glass wise there is nothing in it IMHA, but I found the Zeiss bulkier than my Leica so will stick with mine.

The only +'s on the Zeiss is you only have to press the button once to get the range, on the Leica twice, and with the Zeiss you can change mtr's to yds at the touch of button I belive.

The yds to mtr's only comes in if you are using both Euro and US scopes

Max

I have the Leica 10 x 42's great binos and fantastic after sales nothing too much trouble, even a foc repair when I dropped them out of the truck and jammed both focussing rings.

In September had a pair Zeiss Victory RF 10x45 and Leica Geovids HD 10X42 rangefinding models on trial for a week courtesy of Sportsman Exeter. Used them in all conditions day and night. Optically they are v similar, the Zeiss laser is much better to use, but both were identical in range measurement.

I purchased the Leicas (HD's)purely on the fact they are a bit lighter and more ergonomic. Controls on Leica are smoother but warranty on Zeiss much better as are the accesories and case. Leica carrying case etc is v poor considering you are paying £1.5k.

Zeiss made in Germany and Leicas in Portugal as are there microscopes.

Sportsman sell far more pairs of Leica''s cf similar Zeiss model.

Am intending to post lengthy review article soon as I get time, but you a welcome to PM me and if you give me a no I will give you a lengthy verbal

D

Back