9 rounds that I need to safely unload

DJC

Hi I have 9 243 rounds home loaded bey somebody for me 3 years ago and the rifle did not like them .The bolt was hard to close etc I need to dispose of these some way .is there an easy way to do so or should I just shoot a paper on the range with them

DJC

If you do not want to reload the components, cartridge in the vice and pull the bullet with pliers.

Pour the powder over your garden - it is a high-nitrogen fertliliser.

Put a few drops of engine oil in each case to kill the primers.

Chuck 'em in the bin.

Or if there's a reloader nearby they will have a bullet puller. Otherwise a vice and pliers will do the job.

If they are tight, it probably means that the cases haven't been resized properly. Not really a problem (a tight opening bolt after firing is a different matter as it can indicate an over-pressure) so if you have somewhere to shoot them you might as well crack them off.

What bullets are in them? If they are expanding projectiles then you will need to render them "safe" (generally hitting them with a hammer works) once they are out of the cases. Expanding bullets are (as we all know) S5 ammunition and you need to make sure they are put beyond use before disposing of them.

Final option would be to drop them off with your local RFD for disposal. Most will take them for free.

Pull the heads and put the bullets through a full sizing die that will then have them fitting in your rifle perfect then reload them if you wish with your own powder

Pull the heads and put the bullets through a full sizing die that will then have them fitting in your rifle perfect then reload them if you wish with your own powder

Do you mean 'pull the bullets and put the cases through a full sizing die'?

Really??!!!

If you're going to do that then first of all make sure you remove the decapping pin from the sizing die...

Hi I have 9 243 rounds home loaded bey somebody for me 3 years ago and the rifle did not like them .The bolt was hard to close etc I need to dispose of these some way .is there an easy way to do so or should I just shoot a paper on the range with them
DJC

DJC

Most of these plans entail a lot of work. If I've read your post right, the aim is to avoid pulling the heads and deactivating the remaining primed cases.

On the assumption the tight chambering is due to insufficient base resizing you've got 2 other options.

1. Depending on which dies you have ..... you can remove the nose punch assembly from the .243 seater die, and push the oversize .243 rounds in to Maximum (i.e. 'bottoming' on the shellholder). This might just work, but as these are a few thousands over FLR die dimensions maybe it won't.

This is feasible with the seater die from a Lee Deluxe (the 3-die Collet NSZ set), but probably not on the one from Lee Pacesetter or Lyman die. With these the neck will probably contact the roll crimp collar before the base is resized down enough.

2. A better idea is to use a conventional .308 full-length resize die with the decapping pin & collar removed. On Redding and Lyman dies the whole assembly just screws out from the top of the die, but RCBS (not so well-designed IMO) have to be removed from the bottom of the die.

That's what I do. You'll need to borrow a .308 FLR die of course if you don't have one :evil:

Take die off press. Put loaded case on press, hold bullet tight in pliers, pliers flat atop press push lever remove bullet, bite the case and replace with lighter wt. bullet. voila.

Back