One for MOT testers / mechanics

Wingy

Just had my Hilux in for its MOT and the tester told me I would have to remove my BASC / BDS stickers even though they were not in the area covered by the windscreen wipers (field of view) & my tax disc needs to be in the top left corner. He said That a recent VOSA court case was lost due to the driver claiming that a stone chip was not in his field of view due to an object hung from the rear view mirror (these such objects would now be a MOT failure) so VOSA have introduced these new rules to the test.
My pickup passes but I was wondering is this correct or was it just a way of getting me to remove my support sticker, don't think the latter would be the case
Wingy

I bet he is an anti if you check most vehicles on the road it was rule off thumb to put them in the left hand corner so a police officer could check it as he walked along the pavement i think

He is 100% correct. If your car goes for test with stickers or magic trees it is now a fail but most MOT centres will phone you and ask your permission to remove them... He is not an anti he is just doing his job.
VOSA and DSA are being replace by a new gestapo called Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency.

Last edited:
found you this feller:
from dvla Car tax: get a tax disc for your vehicle - GOV.UK

Displaying your tax disc

Your vehicle tax disc must be displayed on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, you should display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle.

A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200. The tax disc can not be transferred between vehicles.

If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there’s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires. ZONE A , NO STICKERS OUTER EDGE AWAY FROM A" IS OK
2/:
[h=5]1. In Zone 'A:

a. damage not contained within a
10mm diameter circle, or

b. a Windscreen sticker or other
obstruction encroaching more than 10mm

c. a combination of minor damage areas which seriously restricts the driver's view
In the remainder of the[/h]
[h=5]
w_sreen.gif
[/h][h=5]Windscreen Inspection Zone

Zone 'A is:
. in the swept area of the Windscreen
. 290mm wide
. centred on the centre of the steering
wheel.

w_sreen.gif

'Official' stickers
[/h][h=5]'Official' stickers that are not readily removable - such as vehicle licences, parking and access permits - are only a reason for rejection if they seriously restrict the drivers view. 'Official' stickers should be taken to be any sticker that is used in connection with 'road enforcement', 'security' or 'crime prevention' matters.
These include: Disabled Persons Badges/permits, Parking Permits. Licences and Vehicle Anti-Theft Scheme stickers issued by a Policy Authority.[/h][h=5]Sun visors[/h][h=5]Sunvisors fitted to the driver's side, which cannot be stowed in the 'offscreen' position and which drop down obstructing the view through the swept area of the windscreen are a reason for rejection. A similar defect on the passenger side sunvisor is not a reason for rejection.[/h][h=5][/h]
[h=5]In[/h]
[h=5]
[/h][h=5]Windscreen

1. Whilst sitting in the driver's seat and, referring to the diagram below, examine the driver's view of the road through the swept area of the windscreen.[/h][h=5]
[/h][h=5]1. In Zone 'A:

a. damage not contained within a
10mm diameter circle, or

b. a Windscreen sticker or other
obstruction encroaching more than 10mm

c. a combination of minor damage areas which seriously restricts the driver's view
In the remainder of the swept area:

d. damage not contained within a 40mm diameter circle, or

e. a Windscreen sticker or other
obstruction encroaching more than 40mm

f. a temporary Windscreen fitted.

Note: All the items listed in the information column should be taken into account before rejecting a vehicle.[/h][h=5]
[/h][h=5]Issue Date: 01 January 2012[/h][h=5]
bottom_menu.gif
footer_right.gif
:

d. damage not contained within a 40mm diameter circle, or

e. a Windscreen sticker or other
obstruction encroaching more than 40mm

f. a temporary Windscreen fitted.

Note: All the items listed in the information column should be taken into account before rejecting a vehicle.[/h]
[h=5]Issue Date: 01 January 2012[/h]
bottom_menu.gif
footer_right.gif

Tax discs will soon be history now anyway (sadly not the tax though). To be honest, although it's nice to be able to put stickers in your car to show support for the shooting organisations you support, I don't think it's worth the risk of leaving your vehicle somewhere and one day coming back to it to find damage done by some lawless numpty who thinks they're saving the planet.

Its a shame, signs of the times we live in, as I too don't display any of my shooting related stickers on my vehicle, though I have a couple of shooting related number plates is use currently so far, no issues as yet..:D

Hmmm it always used to be tax disc had to be displayed in front of and to the left of the driver. I recall two Sussex bobbies getting all uptight about the fact i had moved the tax disc from the front wheel to the rear engine mount on my Bonnieville T140E. As i pointed out when seated in the saddle the disc was actually in front of my body and it was on the left.

One of the numpties then said he could not read it down there. My answer was get down and take a look as I am not picking the bike up for you. Said numpties then gave me a producer and on it they wanted to see the MOT. Then had checked the reg number too. I pointed out that it didn't need a test but they insisted so I had to educate them that one is only required when a vehicle is three years old. the registration on mine had only been "out" for 6 months and the bike was only 5 months old.

Stupidity is not a new thing in beat bobbies as this was back in 1980 :rolleyes:.

When I put in a complaint it turned out they were cadets from Gatwick Airports station and not supposed to be out on their own.

I have no problems displaying my basc and other the only one i ever removed a long time ago and lost was my regiment badge, when the uk was being bombed we were told to do it remove them to be safe , so vowed never to hide again from others i may offend again.:tiphat:

He is 100% correct. If your car goes for test with stickers or magic trees it is now a fail but most MOT centres will phone you and ask your permission to remove them... He is not an anti he is just doing his job.
VOSA and DSA are being replace by a new gestapo called Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency.

That makes sense, he did say there were major changes going on and did mention Driver & vehicle Standards agency.
As for the tax disc I do remember its position used to be top left, where the windscreen wiper misses, but everyone seems to place them bottom left.
Just be aware when your vehicle goes for its MOT, this guy who did mine is an ok sort of guy but an A - hole may just fail your vehicle
Wingy

It's nothing new...

Anything obstructing drivers view of the road is a fail, always has been. Although I've never failed a vehicle for having stickers apart from one boy racer car that had a black sunshade covering half the windscreen.
Furry dice and magic trees I just remove and put them back on when I'm done. It's mainly so I can do a proper inspection of the screen for chips and cracks... it has been known for people to put a sticker over a stonechip to try and hide it.

Some testers are just so Anal about stuff, I'd rather they pass first time it's less hassle for me.

It's nothing new...

Anything obstructing drivers view of the road is a fail, always has been. Although I've never failed a vehicle for having stickers apart from one boy racer car that had a black sunshade covering half the windscreen.
Furry dice and magic trees I just remove and put them back on when I'm done. It's mainly so I can do a proper inspection of the screen for chips and cracks... it has been known for people to put a sticker over a stonechip to try and hide it.

Some testers are just so Anal about stuff, I'd rather they pass first time it's less hassle for me.

Thanks for that Si, I've always known that any obstruction from things hung on the mirror or any stone chip in the drivers view as detailed by Paul's earlier post was an MOT fail, but this guy said it's now anything anywhere on the windscreen or hung from the mirror.
Wingy

aside from me never putting any club or hobby related sticker on my own car
I personally can't understand why you would want anything in the windscreen at all!

my tax disc is so far down the bottom left you can read the date and the reg and that is it, been that way for years and never failed (including this year)
my parking permit is in the back driver's side window out the way

nothing else on any front or rear window

i saw a car with a tax disc that looked like it was infront of the passenger it was so far away from the edge the other day!!

Sat navs and mobile phone holders that stick to the windscreen are another one.... again, easy enough to remove then put back on after the test.

Back