.223 powder Viht N120 or N130

timbeech

Initially I was planning on using Nosler Ballistic tips for my .223, however I can get 55grn V-Max much more readily locally.

This has left me with a problem for my reloading as I have no Hornady data, I was going to use Benchmark with the Noslers. However after running some loads through QuickLoad it looks like Viht N130 or N120 could be a good bet, although the N120 could be a bit quick.

Could someone take a photo of the Hornady 55grn V-Max page in their manual, or let me know what powders they use, that would be great.

Tim

N130 or N133.

The N130 will use a little less powder but there isn't that much in it.

I used to use N120 for my .223 with 40 to 50 grain bullets, fast, clean and all burnt in the barrel.
My left overs were given to a mate who used them in his 15 inch barrelled .223 with very good results.

Neil. :)

If you fancy something else completely, I have had great success with Ramshot X-Terminator. I am shooting 40gr V-Max though. Its cheap and you can get it from Sporting Supplies near you. Ramshot Tac for the heavier rounds.

Ben.

My 223 loves 55 grain Hornady SPWC pushed by 20.5 grains of N120.

image.jpg

Squares are 1/4 inch and I think I measured group on outside not centre to centre, showed my nephew the group and he said "but it's not in the middle"

Rick

My 223 loves 55 grain Hornady SPWC pushed by 20.5 grains of N120.

View attachment 35835

Squares are 1/4 inch and I think I measured group on outside not centre to centre, showed my nephew the group and he said "but it's not in the middle"

Rick

If the bullet holes are 0.224" the squares most definitely are not 0.250".

Possibly the squares are 0.500" and the 0.338" group was measured c-to-c?

To the original question, I would use N133 - N140 for 55gr bullets and heavier. N133 destroys the primer pockets if you're trying to max the velocity, hence the even slower ones. If using a shortish barrel and/or mod, N133 would be best. Even N130 if using modest loads.

My current varmint load (raccoon dogs and such) is 40gr Nosler Varmageddon FBHP driven by 23gr of N120. 1110m/s (3640fps) from 20" AR-15. Doesn't even cycle the action if mod is not on. I would also consider N120 for reduced loads in heavier bullet weights.

The slower of the powders mentioned (N133) will give you more options for heavier bullets. As a general rule, which is often proved wrong, you should aim to be almost filling the case with powder - therefore use the slower powder. I was under the impression the N133 was developed for .22CF 55gr bullets, but could be wrong. I've also had good results using N133 with 65gr Sierra SP and even the 69gr Sierra matchking. Download powder charge accordingly and will obviously only work if you have a suitable twist rate to stabilise the bullet.

Back