Nomad or Swazi Smock

Stand Buck

I have decided that I need a new waterproof smock and have narrowed it down to either a swazi or a nomad, anyone with a review or preferance either way?

Hi standbuck,
I have never owned a swazi but i bought a nomad quadrider smock three months ago, well worth the money so far but only time will tell, i have been in some real downpours and no water has got through. Well made and a small is actually a small unlike the swazi's which the small that i saw was more like a XXL :eek:
Not an issue if you are of a normal size but myself being a smidge larger than dwarf ewok 8) it can make all the difference.
Although i will admit that just going by looks i think the swazi will last longer.
Just my opinion.
Regards Mark.

nomad

I bought a nomad smock 3 years ago brilliant stuff out in all weathers.once you buy it you wont need to buy another for years it will out last you..The only drawback is the hood was big so i bought a full zip coat and wear a hat...thay are well worth the £225 price tag .Will get another eventualy when wears out.......

Get a nomad! wear a baseball or quick camo hat and when it pours it down hood up and it doesn't cover your eyes.

Nomad is a good jacket and you won't get wet in it but, it will hold a lot of water and get heavy and can take an age to dry out.

The Swazi is a light anorak that needs to be layered up in cold weather with base layers and fleece etc... it is however extremely good in wet weather at keeping you dry and not holding water so drys very very quickly.

I would go for either the Swazi thar or if you want full zip instead of throw over get the Wapiti.

ATB
Moses

moses said:
Nomad is a good jacket and you won't get wet in it but, it will hold a lot of water and get heavy and can take an age to dry out.
ATB
Moses

The advantage of the nomad is you run your hand over the fleece and the water is gone. ;)

deer man said:
moses said:
ATB
Moses

The advantage of the nomad is you run your hand over the fleece and the water is gone. ;)

Tell that to my mate who was wringing his out every night in Wicklow this week.

That was some extreme weather mind you, I'm sure it performs better when you're not lying in a burn for an hour.

ATB
Moses

I have both smocks, The Nomad is a very warm smock which is good for cold, windy weather with the odd shower. The Swazi Tahr is an outstanding piece of kit. Well designed with the best cuffs I've ever used, very breathable and waterproof. If I had to choose one it would be the Swazi, no question.

Sticks

moses said:

I would agree. The Nomad is pretty good, but I found too warm on the hill in normal conditions. It is waterproof but I found that damp did get through the seams. The cuffs eventually got wet and took a couple of days to dry. Quite happy, but only because I bought it in a clearance sale. RRP would be too much.

Have a look at stoney creek New Zealand, I borrowed a lot of it when I was down under, same style and quality as swazi/nomad but miles cheaper. Have a look at the product reviews on www.mountainman.co.nz!

hunterscabin said:
nomad all the way

best clothing for any outdoor hunting :D :D

Except if it raining, then you need Swazi. :lol: Shame the owner is so full of himself.

ATB

Tahr

Thar said:
hunterscabin said:
nomad all the way

best clothing for any outdoor hunting :D :D

Except if it raining, then you need Swazi. :lol: Shame the owner is so full of himself.

ATB

Tahr

i suggest you get your facts correct before you type messages
i am steve hunter, not phillip who does indeed own nomad
i however own a gun shop in aberdeenshire
yes i do sell the clothing

only because i have tried and tested it
i only sell products which i believe in not just cause there is profit

regards

steve

Very interested in the nomad my self but got this niggling felling that the Harkila Pro Hunter would be better as more of an all rounder. Anyone got both that could shed some light on them?

i have personally got both
had them since before i started the shop
after a couple of years the harkila looks better
but the nomads are half the weight and warmer

the choice is yours

hunterscabin said:
i suggest you get your facts correct before you type messages
i am steve hunter, not phillip who does indeed own nomad
i however own a gun shop in aberdeenshire
yes i do sell the clothing

only because i have tried and tested it
i only sell products which i believe in not just cause there is profit

regards

steve

Steve read my post again, you have got the wrong end of the stick, I was talking about the the owner of Swazi :oops: :oops: .

Apology in order I think. :rolleyes:

ATB

Tahr

i will apologise however

why highlight my reply to you

anyway this is getting abit of topic for the original post

the nomad clothing is the best for the british climate

cheers

steve

hunterscabin said:
i will apologise however

why highlight my reply to you

anyway this is getting abit of topic for the original post

the nomad clothing is the best for the british climate

cheers

steve

We are all entitled to our opinion, but some of us are not selling either brand. :confused:

ATB

Tahr

Thar

Just for the record your original post made complete sense to me - as in, I understood you to mean the owner of Swazi.

Back