RCBS FL die damaging case shoulder

Aqueous Osprey

Some help needed please

new RCBS die set, installed as per instructions - ram fully up with case holder installed, turn die until contact with case holder, lower ram and tighten die 1/4 turn more...

My problem is when I full length resize my cases they are coming out with weird indents all round the shoulder..
It looks as if the neck of the case is being pulled so much that it is damaging the shoulder!

I am using case lubricant.

anyone had this problem before and know how to sort it?

can the cases still be used?

any help much appreciated

AO

Some help needed please

new RCBS die set, installed as per instructions - ram fully up with case holder installed, turn die until contact with case holder, lower ram and tighten die 1/4 turn more...

My problem is when I full length resize my cases they are coming out with weird indents all round the shoulder..
It looks as if the neck of the case is being pulled so much that it is damaging the shoulder!

I am using case lubricant.

anyone had this problem before and know how to sort it?

can the cases still be used?

any help much appreciated

AO

Far too much lube.
Cases will 'blow out' on firing.

Thanks guys will give it a go again with less lub. I found it very hard getting case out of die and thought that it might have been not enough lub!

AO

they are called hydraulic dents caused by to much lube as the other posters have siad , as already said just load em and use them the dents will blow out to normal after firing

Lube the head (the part immediately above the extractor groove and about 1/4" beyond) of the case well, lube the sides of the case from there up to the shouders adequately, lube the neck of the case lightly. Never, never ever, lube the actual shoulders. That is the flat, if you like, part that sets the headspace against the chamber in the rifle.

After ive rolled my cases in the lube tray I always wipe neck n shoulders off with a cloth before running through the die, if first case had too much lube on it it may dent the next few, dents will lesson til gone.

as spud said just clean it out i use carb cleaner and an old mop chamber brush to size and fitted in a drill also you can polish it at the same time with T-Cut

they are called hydraulic dents caused by to much lube as the other posters have siad , as already said just load em and use them the dents will blow out to normal after firing

It might be something other than too much lube.

Check the nature of the dents. When I've overlubed the dents tend to be rounded and smooth.
I recently acquired some once fired cases from a mate...his chamber is a tad large and the dents in the shoulder due to the initial set back are much more ridgy and more frequent. Not smooth at all...

If you DON'T screw the die in all the way, does the case chamber ok? If so, then maybe you have a rather long chamber?
Check it out with an old trick of putting some soot or moly on the shoulder of the case in addition to standard lube.
Keep backing the die out until the soot / moly isn't disturbed.

Same place as standard or a long way out?

I understand that RCBS's own instructions say screw the die down another quarter turn but there really is no need for this, by doing this all you are doing is stressing the press and putting undue load on the die and shellholder, the case does not go any deeper into the die.

Ian.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I stripped the die down and cleaned it out (quite a bit of lube in there) then applied a little lube to a case avoiding the shoulder and a little lube to the inside of the case as well and it has not made any dents in this one!
It is still quite tough to remove the case from the die but maybe I just need more porridge in the mornings!

Will play about with it and see what's what

cheers

AO

My RCBS dies have these little holes...aka air vents too! Some of us call them lube vents! But re lubing I have never lubed the inside of a case neck with a wet lube and never ahd any problems.

But I have had lots, well enough to know about, stuck cases with rims torn off when I have neglected to adequately lubricate the head area just above the extractor groove. Worst culprits being cases fired in Parker Hale rifles!

Yes it is, but excess lube will still go out the holes.

Neil. :)

Not enough to stop the 'lube bumps' I have just cleaned a die for someone who was a little generous with the lube, the lock nut was over the hole and by god it was jammed with lube!
There is quite a difference between air and lube 'viscosity' wise. Strictly speaking it is only an air vent - if you are using that much lube to squirt out the little hole you are using far too much lube.

if you are using that much lube to squirt out the little hole you are using far too much lube.

Not going to disagree with you on that.
I never have excess lube, mainly because i use a collet neck die, or if needed a body die, in which case a light wipe of lube around the base of the case is enough.

Neil. :)

Back