quickest way to get DSC2?

Mungo

Hi folks,

I've just discovered that I probably need to get DSC2 fairly swiftly in the new year.

What is the quickest way to do it from a standing start (no dsc1)?

Does anyone run packages with the Dsc2 witnessed stalks included?

There is sone urgency here.

Did mine with the Moray Outfitting guys in Caithness. No extra charges for the witnessing, so just pay for the stalking I was doing anyway.

You can start collecting witnessed stalks with a AW before you have your level one, but you need the level one to submit the portfolio.

If you can absorb information do the assessment only level one in a morning. That's what I did.

The hardest part with level 2 is the wait. The assessment of the portfolio can take 14 weeks (according to DMQ) so that is the part that holds things up the most.

DSC1 is simple in terms of booking and attending. How much will be new to you depends on how much experience and knowledge you have taken on so far but you are sure to learn something new. Again DSC2 depends how much experience you have had and whether what you think you know meets the level of what you will need to demonstrate at DSC2. Difficult question to answer really. Drop me a PM if you have any queries on DSC2 as I am an AW.

You will have to have DSC1 before progressing to DSC2.

That aside, the only elements required to obtain DSC2 are - 1. Your skill level & knowledge, 2. Presence of an AW, 3. Obtaining 3 ICRs - however they are made up.

The clock for DSc2 start with the earliest of either date you register or the date of the first ICR element you wish to include. ie you can start compiling your portfolio before registering/ whilst waiting for pack etc to come through.

There are packaged schemes - both on Park deer and elsewhere. Outwith Park scenario, your best and most economic route tends to lay with Hinds/ Does.

EDIT - post crossed with the two above!

level 1 is just a matter of turning up and filling out the relevent questions, level 2 you need the deer to be there so you can successfully stalk gralloch and then follow up on the questions asked alongside doing your own write ups.
so going with someone who has plenty of deer to go at is going to be a big help, doing my level 2 i wanted to be tested in my knowledge and have as good a portfolio as possible. The weather and deer play a big part in how quick you can get it atb wayne

Hi folks,

I've just discovered that I probably need to get DSC2 fairly swiftly in the new year.

There is some urgency here.

The quickest way to the DSC2 is to book yourself in with a Professional Hunter/DSC2 witness with lots of ground that holds Roe, in the Roe doe culling season, for say one and a half days. This will give you an opportunity to do 5-6 seperate stalks on day one and another two 'insurance' stalks the next morning. With a bit of luck you will manage to complete your three ICR's over that short time of intensive hunting.

After struggling with lots of cancelled/blank DSC2 stalks in the Cotswolds I did just that, and the PH who witnessed me was brilliant, and despite averse weather conditions we did find deer and I did manage to get sufficient stalks and culls. It also taught me that with tenacity and under pressure you will find deer, even with a strong Eastern wind, snow, hale, thunder and 6' snowdrifts. The money was well spent. Good luck.

Hi folks,

There is sone urgency here.

There is nothing to stop you doing your DSC 2 before your DSC 1, but you won't be able to register for DSC 2 until you have completed DSC 1 if that makes sense?
The forms can be downloaded from the DMQ website so you don't necessarily need a portfolio to be getting on with it. However, all evidence submitted must be less than 3 years old.
I would suggest though that much of the knowledge gained on DSC 1 will assist greatly towards achieving DSC 2. Are you sure you are ready for DSC 2?
Many folks don't seem to comprehend that the 'leap' from level 1 to 2 is not a small one! An awful lot of first DSC 2 stalks revert to a training stalk where the candidate is clearly nowhere near ready to be assessed. It is often worth going out with an AW or experienced holder of DSC 2 first just to give you confidence that you are up to the required standard.
Good luck.
MS:)

The quickest way to the DSC2 is to book yourself in with a Professional Hunter/DSC2 witness with lots of ground that holds Roe, in the Roe doe culling season, for say one and a half days. This will give you an opportunity to do 5-6 seperate stalks on day one and another two 'insurance' stalks the next morning. With a bit of luck you will manage to complete your three ICR's over that short time of intensive hunting.

Works even better if they have muntjac as well, as shooting several muntjac per outing is certainly not beyond reason. Might be a tad more difficult near Edinburgh though ;)

To MS' point, the leap from DSC1 to DSC2 is not a small one, and I would second his suggestion of finding a friendly AW who will let you go out on an "unwitnessed" DSC2 stalk before committing to a weekend full of stalking, if that makes sense? They should be able to give an honest opinion as to whether you are ready for DSC2 or not.

willie_gunn

Thanks very much for the input folks - really appreciated.

I know there is a lot to learn, and I have no illusions about my inadequacies. Having spoken to a few people, the largest gap in my current awareness is the level of detail with regard to carcasse inspection. My current level is not much beyond 'is it covered in stinking green? Are there wriggly things in evidence? Are there any prurulent lumps larger than a golf ball?' It seems this isn't wuite enough...

mungo sounds like you need to do abit of work on the gralloch side, have you got the best practice quidence? you will need to know the lymph nodes and show how to find them and then see if anything is not right. the guide is a great help in all aspects but this does need following up with real experience so practice is the key to be familiar and you find your own methods ,I took a variation from people that suited me, atb wayne

There is nothing to stop you doing your DSC 2 before your DSC 1, but you won't be able to register for DSC 2 until you have completed DSC 1 if that makes sense?
The forms can be downloaded from the DMQ website so you don't necessarily need a portfolio to be getting on with it. However, all evidence submitted must be less than 3 years old.
I would suggest though that much of the knowledge gained on DSC 1 will assist greatly towards achieving DSC 2. Are you sure you are ready for DSC 2?
Many folks don't seem to comprehend that the 'leap' from level 1 to 2 is not a small one! An awful lot of first DSC 2 stalks revert to a training stalk where the candidate is clearly nowhere near ready to be assessed. It is often worth going out with an AW or experienced holder of DSC 2 first just to give you confidence that you are up to the required standard.
Good luck.
MS:)
MS Moray is correct DSC2 cannot be done before DSC1 is achieved. The ICR's for DSC2 cannot be done retrospectively.

Best regards.

Jon.

MS Moray is correct DSC2 cannot be done before DSC1 is achieved. The ICR's for DSC2 cannot be done retrospectively.

Best regards.

Jon.
Sorry but both state that it can be started before registering. You have read Moray's post wrong Jon.
Baguio

Last edited:
When did this change? I always understood that evidence gathered upto three years prior to DSC2 registration could be submitted providing it was in the correct format, correctly witnessed and up to the required standard. Is this no longer the case?
It didn't Glyn. Jon has got it wrong! MS and Moray both have it correct.
Baguio

You doubtless all have way more experience as AW's than me, so please help me out here.

All I can do from where I currently sit is to read the guidance.......

DMQ's website states that "You must have completed DSC1 before you can register for DSC2" (see DMQ - FAQ about DSC1 amp DSC2 under "How Do I Register") or on their guidance for registering for DSC2 where they state "To register for DSC2 you must first have obtained DSC1."

The AW Handbook, dated May 2012, states that "A candidate’s period of registration for the gathering of evidence is 3 years from registration". I haven't gone through line by line but I can find nothing about the validity of evidence collected prior to registration.

The DSC2 Candidate presentation states that "You have 3 years in which to gather your evidence and submit your portfolio for assessment", with nothing on the validity of evidence collected prior to registration.

Seems clear enough to me, but happy for you to point me towards something/anything other than posts on Internet Forums that would support the hypothesis that "evidence gathered three years prior to registration is valid".

Otherwise all I can see is a clarification coming down the line from DMQ......

willie_gunn

Last edited:
I am a little out of touch with the industry so it could well be the case that the prior evidence is no longer allowed but it certainly used to be the case. I will have to check.
I can guarantee you that MS isn't out of touch though and I doubt Moray is either.
Baguio

I can guarantee you that MS isn't out of touch though and I doubt Moray is either.
Baguio

To be clear, I'm not questioning anyone's integrity here. I would just like someone to point me towards a definitive statement on the matter, given the obvious implications.

Like Glyn 1, I will make my own inquiries through DMQ and see what they say.

willie_gunn

I can recommend a really straight forward AW in Bonnyrigg. if you need or choose to go that route.

I did my level2 with him.

ade

You doubtless all have way more experience as AW's than me, so please help me out here.

All I can do from where I currently sit is to read the guidance.......

DMQ's website states that "You must have completed DSC1 before you can register for DSC2" (see DMQ - FAQ about DSC1 amp DSC2 under "How Do I Register") or on their guidance for registering for DSC2 where they state "To register for DSC2 you must first have obtained DSC1."

The AW Handbook, dated May 2012, states that "A candidate’s period of registration for the gathering of evidence is 3 years from registration". I haven't gone through line by line but I can find nothing about the validity of evidence collected prior to registration.

The DSC2 Candidate presentation states that "You have 3 years in which to gather your evidence and submit your portfolio for assessment", with nothing on the validity of evidence collected prior to registration.

Seems clear enough to me, but happy for you to point me towards something/anything other than posts on Internet Forums that would support the hypothesis that "evidence gathered three years prior to registration is valid".

Otherwise all I can see is a clarification coming down the line from DMQ......

willie_gunn

Correct.

Evidence gathered before registration does not count as part of the Level 2. However in the forward page on a candidates portfolio it does ask about previous experience and the amount of deer taken.

However a candidate must take 3 deer in the presence of an Approved Witness within a period of 3 years. Level 2 portfolio is now on version 6 I believe.

Back