Sad to see an old friend gone

teyhan1

It's always sad to see an old friend hasn't made it through to another year. I have spent many hours quietly sitting under this tree waiting for a deer. It has given me shade in the summer, shielded me from storms and now even in her passing provides me with a beautiful field shooting bench:lol: Thank you old friend and RIP

I must be soft in the head because I've had the same feelings about a couple of trees. People talk about the soothing effect of the waves on a shore, personally I don't get that but I do get a very peaceful feeling sat under a tree watching open countryside and it's never the same two days running is it.

I cut a few down around the lakes every year and never worry about it, there time has come and that's it.
The member feel a bit different, like it's the crime of the century, but then moan if you leave it trailing across a
swim or path. But two years a go I had to cut down a very scrappy and sparse old pine.......
I planted that tree when I was about 7, dug it up from my granddads garden and planted it again all those years ago.
I hated to cut it down, but it was as dead as a dodo, killed by Cormorant crap.
I have to say that did bring a tear (actually a few more than one) when I thought back over the near 50 years that I have
sat beneath is while fishing that lake, even now I can't bring myself to fish anywhere I can see where it was while fishing :cry:

Neil. :)

I'm not superstitious but my old stalking partner passed away earlier this year (RIP mate) and the tree he always used to lie under fell, it was in good health, and then on a camera I have seen a Roe Doe turn up on the ground for the first time. I'll never walk past that tree and not think of him.

Paul

It's always sad to see an old friend hasn't made it through to another year. I have spent many hours quietly sitting under this tree waiting for a deer. It has given me shade in the summer, shielded me from storms and now even in her passing provides me with a beautiful field shooting bench:lol: Thank you old friend and RIP

Where did it go? looks to me like some twxts cut it down, if you look closely you can see the chainsaw marks:rofl: Nothing wrong with having a liking for trees, I hate to see big old trees blown over, always think of the tales they could tell, often spanning several centuries.

Where did it go? looks to me like some twxts cut it down, if you look closely you can see the chainsaw marks:rofl: Nothing wrong with having a liking for trees, I hate to see big old trees blown over, always think of the tales they could tell, often spanning several centuries.

I've always thought there is something about sitting under an old tree. There is one particular oak tree about 400 meters from our cottage that is mentioned in documents and stories such as the English Civil War (1645 ish) so you can actually imagine real characters in history underneath them. This oak is dated 900 years old with possibly another 200 left to go!

...Now, one last thing - wheres me ****ing high seat?

I've always thought there is something about sitting under an old tree. There is one particular oak tree about 400 meters from our cottage that is mentioned in documents and stories such as the English Civil War (1645 ish) so you can actually imagine real characters in history underneath them. This oak is dated 900 years old with possibly another 200 left to go!

indeed !!
where i used to work there was a very large redwood /sequoia, i used to stand at the base as it was a good spot to clip greycrows as they made a b line for it as a lookout post
one big storm snapped it off about 6ft from the base and left it a splintered jagged mess, i was having a look the morning after the storm , lo and behold i found a flattened musket ball beep within the vertical remains still stuck in the timber , i often wonder was it someone at target practise or was some poor hoor strapped to it and executed:eek:

Strange thing was when I arrived there yesterday there two bucks in velvet in the rough patch in front of the wood. The neighbours boy was out shooting pigeons just 200m away. The bucks went back into the woodand and later I thought I heard a rifle shot. This morning I could only find one buck. I know he's new to stalking and the bucks had only just cast their antlers but if it was him I am going to make Red-Dot look like a pussy cat.:-|

I've always thought there is something about sitting under an old tree. There is one particular oak tree about 400 meters from our cottage that is mentioned in documents and stories such as the English Civil War (1645 ish) so you can actually imagine real characters in history underneath them. This oak is dated 900 years old with possibly another 200 left to go![/QUOTE

Thats nowt but a sapling lad, the oldest tree in Europe is a yew in Fortingall experts have put its age as much as 5000 years old, it certainly predates Christianity as the trunk has been burnt by Beltane fires so it must have been a mature tree at that time.

Back