How many partridge.

Pirate hunter

Just wondered how many partridge you have shot/or seen shot, out of a covey with 2 shots.Had something a bit special happen today when a covey crossed in front of me.

Best I,ve done is 3 dead with 2 shots using an old Merkel O/U with 25" barrels and improved cylinder in both

1 of the lads on our shoot dropped 4 greys to 1 shot, still hasn't forgot about it yet, gets regularly mentioned:D

In my opinion there is nothing clever a shooting at a flock/covey of birds. I would pick one bird at good range and try to shoot it clean. well done if that's your aim. If by accident its just a fluke. woodfordfallow

Mine was a total fluke to be honest.
Swung on the lead bird and dropped then killed a 3rd clean.It happens now and again but not often.

1 ...I know its not many but it was a cracking partridge . Second barrel folded it ..3 other guns missed it clean .One that lives in the memory ..

In my opinion there is nothing clever a shooting at a flock/covey of birds. I would pick one bird at good range and try to shoot it clean. well done if that's your aim. If by accident its just a fluke. woodfordfallow

Nothing clever about it,aimed at the lead bird with both barrels and dropped the lot. 7.

Hi all, back in the late seventies, brother an I, helped out on a small walk and stand shoot. We would have a couple of days on the stubble and potato fields, at partridge. Twice, one season I shot three partridge with the two shots. Each time my spaniel saw three birds down and retrieved them, but until he went out for the third, I didn't know it had happened.

If they were wild greys then it is a bit tragic.

A few years ago we had just one covey of nine on the shoot and one day the shoot captain forgot the 'no greys to be shot' in the briefing. First drive of the day, the covey comes forward and the end gun, a guest, drops five of them with two barrels!!! He could not understand why the rest of us were not too pleased and were not congratulating him on his amazing markmanship.

Luckliy they are still hanging on but only a covey or two on 800 acres.

Grey partridge are something that I am passionate about but I will still shoot them provided that some sort of release scheme takes place on that particular shoot.
I used to rear mine under silkie cross bantams and loved every minute of it.It is something that I look forward to doing again one day.
No shooting them for me after Christmas though as they do pair early

Back