longer range shooting. a insite to what you use please.

bobjs

anyone into longer range shooting.

just a few Q: for me and others to pick your brains.

plates/gongs or corvids etc.

how far are you shooting out to and what calibre are you using.

what scope magnification.

are you dialing in or using sight picture and the reticle to correct your fall of shot.

do you use a normal bipod or have you got a custom/benchrest one etc,

rear bag or adjustable monopod like thing.

do you use a spotting scope. binos. and or range finder..........or do you have a spotter/fellow long range shooter with you,

what ranges do you shoot too to gain/get experience and knowledge of you rifle set up.

barrel length,

moderator or not.

use a bench or the bonnet of the truck

and finally.

is the rifle custom built/semi custom/off the shelf.

thank you

bob.

PS: this is just a bit of fun so i hope there will be none of this my willie is bigger and better than your's please.

I should have added for those that take the mike,............no comments are needed about shooting deer at night and long range lamping, it was all in good faith but we can see what's happened already.

Last edited:
Was about to put in my info until I read that, cant see this one being open for long:rofl: >308 min cal for night licence????

From 300 to 1000yds I use a Parker-Hale T4; which is a No4 Mk2 action fitted with civilian wood, a heavy 7.62mmNATO-chambered barrel, tunnel foresight and PH5C rearsight.
I dial-in using the 1/4minute clicks and stability is provided by two elbows, and an arm-sling of the approved pattern. I don't have the bondage-jacket or big glove, but I do have a felt hat with a very broad brim.
My scores are at best unremarkable, although the target is enormous.

Have a look at ukvarminting forum some good advise re long range target shooting there
You'll soon be back though missing the humour of SD
Wingy

From 300 to 1000yds I use a Parker-Hale T4; which is a No4 Mk2 action fitted with civilian wood, a heavy 7.62mmNATO-chambered barrel, tunnel foresight and PH5C rearsight.
I dial-in using the 1/4minute clicks and stability is provided by two elbows, and an arm-sling of the approved pattern. I don't have the bondage-jacket or big glove, but I do have a felt hat with a very broad brim.
My scores are at best unremarkable, although the target is enormous.

now thats real shooting dulua..way past some folk i know and me. ;)

Have a look at ukvarminting forum some good advice on long range target shooting there
You'll soon be back though missing the humour of SD
Wingy

Been there Wingy and i used to shoot bisley on the second sunday of every month come rain or more rain, I thought the thread may show another side of shooting to the newer members and older alike(those that may have not done it before etc) I know there are a few more sites out there etc but wanted to see who on here does stalking and the longer shooting i have asked about,

bob.

Been there Wingy and i used to shoot bisley on the second sunday of every month come rain or more rain, I thought the thread may show another side of shooting to the newer members and older alike(those that may have not done it before etc) I know there are a few more sites out there etc but wanted to see who on here does stalking and the longer shooting i have asked about,

bob.[/QUOTE]

No problem Bob, thought you were asking.
For me I have a variety of rifles & scopes but only shoot 1 long range,
Tikka T3 varmint in .243 with a Swarovski Z6i BT 2.5-15x56 upto 1000 yds on paper targets, as for deer, foxes or anything living maximum 250-300 yds chest shots if possible
Just got the same rifle in .308, not scoped it up yet but probably looking at another Swarovski or a nightforce
Wingy

6.5x47, 6.5x284, 308

Off bipod using stable ground position and rear bag

Laser RF

Out to 800 - targets and gongs

Dial in

Mil scope and LRF in metric

I also shoot F Class out to 1000 and 1200 occasionally..7mm magnums but thats a different story

Custom 7mm08 140 berger vld mil/mil dail in gongs up to 900 various positions prone bipod and daypack, sitting kneeling and standing with and without sticks, weak side prone. I like mixing it up been doing alot of dot drills recently really gets you sharp I try to do 1 hour dry firing a day to keep the muscle memory now that reloading components are almost impossible to get here now

rem 7mag 162g amax sightron scope 6x24x50 zero at1 in high at 200 rainge finder binoculars and lotsof time shooting from 100 to 1000yards marked on scope turrets for difrent rainges rainge find target dial in set turret gestimate wind drift and fire simples i will note bore you with how meney rounds down rainge to get turrets bang on now i have a fixed mag scope no rainge finder and shoot less deer as i can no longer see them at 1000yards :popcorn:

cooper phoenix 20tac zeiss 6x20 conquest 40g vmax cooper phoenix 6br nxs 5x22 105g amax both prone off bipod dial in no fields on any of my perms longer than 550yds so not really long long range as some know it bob but I can only play with what I got ...new project under way based on a 75

Just for fun, occasionally shoot gongs with Mike Dickinson & others at Calton Moor range out to 500 yards.
Zero'd at 200yds...bob on at 200, 300 crosshairs hold over 6.25", 400 holdover 18.5" & 500 holdover approx 36" & a bit.... it's a guess! but I hit the gong....sometimes..
I shoot using a roesack rest. No bi-pod or other fancy kit. I use a Blaser K95 .25-06 & Zeiss 8x56.
If I have to, I will take the occasional shot out to 300yds on hinds. ATB

I use a standard Tikka M595 in .222 to 650y on gongs, up to 350 on corvids/rabbits and have taken a fox at 322y. Using a sightron 8-32x56 s111 moa2 ret. dialling in over 200y

Standard Sako M591 in .243, 20" bbl to 1000y on gongs, up to 500 on live targets, same scope as above. Generally using 87gr vmax over n140.

Standard Sako M591 in .308, 24"bbl to 1000 on gongs, have taken crows feeding off the splattered (by a 175gr smk) rabbit at 501yds, but this is off to be rebarrelled to a .260rem, again, sightron 8-32.

Everything over about 200 yds is lasered, I have graduated turret wraps for my drops, and practice a lot reading wind. I often wind the scope down to 24x for a 'fuller' view. All the above sit on Harris bipods, and are steadied by a rear bag where possible. Normally prone, will rest on the bonnet if the wind/dog isn't rocking the car. I also practice firing from 'uncomfortable and awkward' positions onto small gongs to 350y in the quarry, off sticks, freehand, twisted around boulders, wrapped around trees etc, and I use the 444 there too, going for strange and awkward off hand shots from 80-250 yards. Nothing prone with that. It runs a vari 1.5-4.5x scope so a hit on a 4" gong at 250yds is VERY satisfying :) furthest live target was a fox at 112 with this :)

Pete

i use a .308 browning A-Bolt tactical varmint 22" barrel 1/10 twist, bell and Carlson factory bedded stock with Harris bipod and rear bag from prone, shooting 100yds to 600yds targets, i generally wind up and down as required, just a budget scope though, viper 8-24-56, i found at longer range i wind mag right up then ease back a little.
due to the twist of the rifle it like heavier bullets im currently using 168g hpbt match, but have been speaking to a few people and they have said to give 175g, yet to try but maybe something to look into for the future.

Bob,
Now, 280 Remington(700), 140gn(2950fps) vld's,Nightforce scope, Mcmillan M40 stock,Jewell Trigger,shortened Harris Bi-pod.Shoots ok but not a patch on the 264.
Previous rig: BSA monarch 264 winmag(border Archer), 139 Scenars(3150fps)Standard stock,Zeiss Scope, bog standard bipod.Best group was 30mm at 600m, never been able to do it again.Sadly now sold.

Always dial, never guess unless its less than 300,Kestrel and Leica range finder.

Last edited:
Back